Tank idea

xWhiteyx

Hey everyone i have an idea for a tank but i got a couple questions.

I'm planning on getting a crowntail betta ( i think thats what they are called), and i'm going to put it into a 5 gallon tank now here is my questions

1. Can i put lucky bamboo into the tank like that stuff you buy from.... rona or superstore, one of those places?

2. What type of light would i need cus i'm just going to stick the bamboo and some java moss into the tank

3. For substrate i was thinking of using playground sand would this be fine for planting the bamboo into?

4. And lastly not really plant related but do you think it would be alright to stick my green phantom pleco into the tank just because my flowerhorn is getting a little too mean, and has a hunger for green phantom plecos.

Thanks

Bamboo will grow too tall if you have a lid. So if you plan on keeping it in there, either cut a hole for the bamboo when it gets too big, or you should be fine. Sand is fine for the substrate.

As for the pleco, I don't know what a green phantom pleco looks like, but as long as it doesn't have long flowing beautiful fins like a Betta it's probably going to be fine.

As for the light, well that all depends. Java moss is okay with low light, but the way it grows with low light isn't that nice looking.

I don't know about the light for the bamboo aside from sunlight. Someone else will better answer that.

The only problem I can forsee with the bamboo is it may be overwatered.

-Hideo

As another note, I love bamboo, and know more about it than any person should probably know, and thought I would note, "Lucky" bamboo is not bamboo at all.

It's actually something else called Dracaena Dracaena Sanderian or something to that effect. It's actually from Africa.

I can see one benefit of it being in your aquarium, actually, since your water will be de-chlorinated, it probably will not suffer from yellowing leaves like most people's do.

If you're interested in adding actual bamboo to your tank one day, just let me know and I'll see how I can help.

-Hideo

As another note, I love bamboo, and know more about it than any person should probably know, and thought I would note, "Lucky" bamboo is not bamboo at all.

It's actually something else called Dracaena Dracaena Sanderian or something to that effect. It's actually from Africa.

Correct...it is a Draceaena from Africa....a good marginal plant and closely related to that variegated Draceaena that many shops sell in their aquatic plant section.

Be glad its not real bamboo...real bamboo grows like mad.

Especially Bambusa Oldhamii (or something like that) grows up to 4 feet a day!!

I believe this bamboo type was used for torture in WWII, but I cannot be sure.

-Hideo

Don't sink your 'bamboo' completely in the water. Put it in just far enough that the roots and maybe one more section are in the water. The leaves will rot if submerged for too long.

You can let the roots just grow freely in the water, or if you're using an HOB filter, it'll grow nicely in that.