Betta Behaviour?

bozco

I have read, and experianced, that when two male bettas are housed beside each other for an extended period of time, that they stop flaring at each other and signs of aggression seem to disappear.

So if you have a tank, say 20 gal or so, and you house two male bettas in those barracks on the back of the tank for a long time where they flare and go at the divider until they become bored with each other and then release them into the tank, would they still be bored of each other and not bother fighting?

It seems to me that if they spend long enough beside each other, say over a period of many months, that they will learn that they cannot get at that other betta. So when they are released into a situation where they can get at each other, will they realize it? Or will they continue to ignore each other?

Yes they do realize it. The reason they stop flaring is b/c they are used to the barrier. Now if you take the same 2 bettas and place them on opposite side. like red from right put it left and blue place it in left from the right they will flare. I have 2 juveniles in my 36 inch long tank and they stay on opposite sides. But the 2 adults fight. You can always try. Also not all bettas nip some just flare each fish is different. Just make sure you supervise the fish if you do put them together.

The only way to find out if you have 2 compatible males is to try it and keep a real close eye on them. Also try to release them at the same time so that they don't have any terittories established. (They recomend that you do that with the females as well.) Just make sure that you have a large enough tank for them. And remember all bettas have their own personality just like people so what works for 1 won't always work for the other.

Well I only have the one betta myself. I was just wondering. Thanks.

Oh, but I had two for a while, housed in 5 gal tanks next to each other. They only flared once, when first introduced then they'd swim past each other and never bother with the other fish again. Thought that was odd. Of course the new one didn't last long. He got sick or something. Maybe that had something to do with it too.