Different kinds of yellow Labs

Golfnut

The Nkhata Bay variants are seen around occasionally, though I nothing locally (just very poorly coloured yellows passed off as white). I had the white ones from Undo Point years ago, and am in the process of getting some back again (they were really a favourite). And there was also a new location of solid white ones (no black) discovered while I was there on the West coast, I even had a tank full of them (and wish I'd have brought some back).

As far as there being '3 different yellow labs', unless you're getting wild caught fish, it really doesn't mean boo. I can just see all the people over on C-F 'well I think I have Lion's cove I b/c of their white bellies' (nothing to do with the fact that they're just crappy line-bred fish). Nothing like encouraging the breeding of sub-standard fish (with newbies) just b/c C-F figures there are different variants out there. Maybe we'll all get lucky and they'll 'suddenly' find a location with solid yellow labs, so all those with hybrids will now have 'pure' fish that are ok to breed with others.

Yes, I'm a cynic.

Just to stir the pot ......

IMO the initial two Labidochromis caeruleus "Electric Yellow" collected by Eric Fleet did not come from Mbowe Island as Ad Konings has previously suggested, but in fact came from Lion's Cove, with one of the fish carrying a recessive allele for the half white/half yellow variant.

Once their offspring were repeatedly inbred, the result was the odd "Electric Yellow" lab showing up as the half white/half yellow variant found in Lion's Cove. (if you have two fish with a recessive allele there is a greater chance that the progeny will show that recessive trait)

These two variants are also found in very close proximity (in Lion's Cove), so the odds of the two variants cross breeding in the wild is certainly possible.

These half white/half yellow labs can be found in LFS's world wide (and have been for many years), so in my opinion it's the only plausible explanation.

• 1 month later...

I ran my theory by Ad Konings about how/why many of the tank strains of yellow labs in the hobby have so much white on them, and his response is below. Having never seen any of Brichard's original yellow labs, Ad's theory makes more sense. My F1 male does indeed have white on the bottom portion of his lower jaw, and under the right lighting you can see a definite change to a lighter shade of color from the top half of the fish, to the bottom. I guess the labs in the hobby showing white bellies are nothing more than genetic throwbacks caused from numerous inbreeding.

Hi Neil,

it maybe a possible theory but I still think that the original Brichard caeruleus came

from Mbowe Island. The very first shipment Brichard made from Burundi with this

species showed an all-yellow variant, not even a little white streaks on the lower jaws

(visible on those of Lion's Cove). Secondly, in the early days it became quickly

apparent that islands had new species and the chance that Mbowe Island was fished

for the ornamental fish trade before Lion's Cove is much more likely. Not long after

the yellow lab was introduced via Brichard, Laif DeMason discovered and brought

back some yellow forms from Lion's Cove and some white forms from Nkhata Bay

into the hobby and those may be the ones that showed the sometimes white ventral

part on the body. Almost all the ones that Stuart Grant brought into the hobby came

from Lion's Cove.

Enjoy your cichlids, Ad