waterfall vs canister filter

scrubby

Yes they are easy to use

Canisters are also better if you are going to have live plants.

Waterfall typs disturb the water surface and realese the Co2 Gas that they need to help them flurish.

Not to mention some fish do not like surface movement

Not to mention canister you wont get the constant waterfall noise

Edited by discus

On the down side, a canister type filter of any make is much more expensive, requires the use of an air pump (if you do not break the surface tension of the water you get little O2 getting in), and they are harder to maintain. I currently have a fluval 404 and 403 for sale because I prefer to use AC500's. They are cheaper and easyer to maintain. On the other hand, they do make more noise.

Surface agitation is more for CO2 escaping than getting O2 in the water. Personally, on anything over 50 gallons I prefer to use both fitlers. An AC to essentially 'polish' the water and keep it clear, and an Eheim for the 'main' biological filtering. I've never had a single problem with my Eheims, have one that's about 12 years old, and have gone over a year without cleaning them at times (I use a prefilter and never had any decrease in circulation, so found no need to clean).