a couple of my own bad pics.

Oxquo

The real Oxquo, truth is He is Oxquo the second. Him and his mate got their names as I was drunk and bored and playing with a labelling gun. Yep it's true that when alcohol comes out, all guns should be put away. His mate not pictured her is Tloig, I'm not even sure if I am pronouncing it right and I named her, kind of. Luckily for me though, I woke up from my comfy carpet and found their new names stuck to the tank, I realised it must be names for the geophagus and was thankfull that the tags were on the tank and not somehow stuck to the fish themselves, Word to the wise "drinking and fishkeeping don't mixing"

post-23-1096928534

If someone picked the same manes as me it would be pretty scary, they may start banning labelling guns. As for the rams, I hope to get atleast 1 more good winter of breeding out of them, I am sure the demand for rams will grow quickly even in a small town.

I have to admit Oxquo, that is a beautiful ram. The only luck I have had with rams are the bolivian strain.

Could you if you have the time put something up on the board on what your secret is in keeping these lovley blues.

Also if you would know were the best place to get a few, that will last me a little longer than it takes to acclimatize them.

Thanks

Tom.

Dad's fishroom is the best, stick to the wild german blue, if you buy hifin, they have been tank bred for too many generations and trust me their fins fall off at an early age the more gens from wild they get. I use 1/2 tap and 1/2 R/O the temp is between 78 and 80 I keep it lower for my catfish. I don't filter through peat but have a peat substrate under my gravel. Waterchanges are usually 4-6 degrees cooler and usually around 20% every two weeks unless breeding and then I do a 10 gallon change consisting of 7 gallons of R/o and 3 gallons of snow, I top it up with tap later. I think it is the sulfuric acid or maybe the 10-12 degree waterchange that gets even the sterbai going. They eat alot of whiteworms during spawn time and spawn almost consistently on time every week unless I leave the eggs in and then they protect them for a day or two. Best is in a small ten or so and after fertillization takes place remove the female. One of the foods I used to get better colors was Vitaboost flake from Kensfish.com but now I get it at Trident wholesale still very cheap.Trident

Anyways add some blackwater extract and lower your lights a bit for even better color. Once rams relax in a calm dark setting they really put on a show. PS I think Dads fishroom is still selling wilds for about $10-$12 and F1 for around $8. Even F1 would look pretty nice. Like other cichlids getting 6-8 ensures better pairs and i find even in a 20 gallon tank 2 pairs are better than 1. Great community fish, but of course, He's a geophagus micro or not.