Unexplained Fish Death

Pacu Lady

Last week we had a total fish disaster....lost nearly all our fish for no apparent reason - our 28 year old Pacu, 30" Black Arrowana, Tin Foil Barbs, full grown Tilapia, buckets and buckets of Africans. It's been a week and we're still in shock, but starting to rebuild and re-stock. My question is...does anyone know of any place in Calgary, or Southern Alberta that would do a fish necropsy so we can determine what happened? Any info is greatly appreciated....

Sudden fish deaths like that are odd, I remember you saying your husband has to get right into the tank to clean it. My guess is he had something on him that contaminated the water.

Try talking to Toirtis, I'm sure if anyone knows it'd be him. But otherwise, I'd just do it myself.

But, if nothing changed and the tank was healthy, to me that just points to a contamination.

-Hideo

OMG, I'm shocked. I can't imagine how you must feel.

My sympathies. :(

Maybe contact your local vet, or the university in Lethbridge and see if someone there can help. I would think water contamination, but probably from something more substantial than your husband carrying a contaminant on him possibly.

Edited by dunl

I have to agree with Dunl. It is doubtful your husband contaminated the tank, Although that is a very perceptive conclution and it can't be ruled out totaly.

Also the University would probably jump at the chance to examine such interesting and large fish.