Fishroom Emergency!

jvision

OK, so it isn't an emergency per se, but...

Exact quote from wife:

If you can get the materials you need for your fishroom for $200, we can set it up right away.

So, you see, I have a bit of a quandry.

I would like to build a room that's about 10' x 8 - 10' that is insulated (walls & ceiling), with a plumbed sink (just need to pumb 'in' - 'out' will go to the floor drain). With 2x4 construction, is it possible to keep it around the $200 mark?

Thanks!

Getting my laundry sinks plumbed in the fashion you described, alone, cost just shy of $200. That was after purchasing the sinks and tap. Also, our house has the new fangled vinyl type hose plumbing and the plumber only had to hook the taps up to existing hot/cold outlets. I got a quote from another company who wouldn't touch the vinyl tubing, and preferred plumbing directly into the main copper pipes... his quote was upwards of $400. If you plumb it yourself, taps and a tub will cost about $60 total.

Not sure about the 2x4-ing though.

Check out the Bargain Finder and used building supplies places. If you aren't in a rush you can save a few bucks on the sink. You could also wait for garage sales to start up this spring. The down side is if you wait till springyou won't get as much of a deal on the lumber

What type of insulation are you thinkin about usin?

Dave

Plumber sink;

Have a look at Home Depot etc., they used to have a "janitor's sink" that was quite deep, plastic on four legs and included the faucet set for about $40 I think. Check their web site. I was looking at this thing for wine making. I could get a 5gal carboy in there for washing real easy.

Cheers;

Check out the Bargain Finder and used building supplies places. If you aren't in a rush you can save a few bucks on the sink. You could also wait for garage sales to start up this spring. The down side is if you wait till springyou won't get as much of a deal on the lumber

What type of insulation are you thinkin about usin?

Dave

So, lumber is cheeper now?

I was planning on just using the normal Pink Stuff insulation. My brother-in-law is an insulator, and my best friend is an electrician. I've never framed a room before, but I think I could pull it off. Plus, my dad and father-in-law have both done some renos in thier time - I'm thinkin of have a fishroom bee! Think we could get it put together in a weekend?

Anyone been to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore? I've been in the one in Saskatoon, so, if the Edmonton one is any different, I should be able to pick up a sink, and all the plumbing there... maybe even all of the electrical outlets, too!

Getting my laundry sinks plumbed in the fashion you described, alone, cost just shy of $200. That was after purchasing the sinks and tap. Also, our house has the new fangled vinyl type hose plumbing and the plumber only had to hook the taps up to existing hot/cold outlets. I got a quote from another company who wouldn't touch the vinyl tubing, and preferred plumbing directly into the main copper pipes... his quote was upwards of $400. If you plumb it yourself, taps and a tub will cost about $60 total.

I hear ya, Sarah! That's why I was going to make this a DIY project.

Any other suggestions?

Plumber sink;

Have a look at Home Depot etc., they used to have a "janitor's sink" that was quite deep, plastic on four legs and included the faucet set for about $40 I think. Check their web site. I was looking at this thing for wine making. I could get a 5gal carboy in there for washing real easy.

Cheers;

Yup, this is what I got. Only I got the 'granite' colored ones at Revy. I think they were $35 each and seemed to be build a little more heavy-duty than the HD ones. You will find them in the 'laundry tub' section. I got two of them and installed a single long-necked tap in the middle. I guess if you needed a grow out tub for some bigger fish too.... heh.

Edited by xerxes

There is a 'previously enjoyed' building supply place on Gateway, on the left and just before Argyl (right where the tracks used to cross gateway before they ripped them out). Check it out, might have something usefull.

There is a 'previously enjoyed' building supply place on Gateway, on the left and just before Argyl (right where the tracks used to cross gateway before they ripped them out). Check it out, might have something usefull.

Heh... that's right across the street from the church I attend! I'll check 'em out this week.

Used lumber is easier to find this time of year. Yes, lumber may be a bit cheaper as it usually rises in price early spring. I suppose it probably isn't that big of a deal as you aren't going to be building something which requires allot of lumber

Dave

Instead of buying a sink why don't you use an old aquarium?

Dave -roll-

Used lumber is easier to find this time of year. Yes, lumber may be a bit cheaper as it usually rises in price early spring. I suppose it probably isn't that big of a deal as you aren't going to be building something which requires allot of lumber

Dave

Make sure you waterproof the base of your framing so that the water will not run out of the room. Mine wanted to run through the gun closet (when I had a spill) before it went into the main basement drain untill I siliconed all the 2x4s to the concrete. You will also need a vapor barrier although you shouldn't need insulation on your inside walls or the ceiling if you are building it in the basement.

Make sure you waterproof the base of your framing so that the water will not run out of the room. Mine wanted to run through the gun closet (when I had a spill) before it went into the main basement drain untill I siliconed all the 2x4s to the concrete. You will also need a vapor barrier although you shouldn't need insulation on your inside walls or the ceiling if you are building it in the basement.

I am planning on waterproofing it all - maybe even using bathroom epoxy paint for the walls & floor. The reason I want to insulate the room is b/c I'm thinking it'll be easier and cheeper to heat the room to about 80F than having heaters in every tank.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers, everyone!

Well as a frame of reference, I just bought 40 sheets of drywall, 1/2" thick by 4' wide by 8' tall. It came up to pretty close to 500$ including the drywall mud, and all the electrical stuff needed, as well as the wood to frame a bathroom.

The sink and plumbing will be your highest cost. Is the rest of the area already finished, or will you have a concrete floor?

I think it'll be possible to get CLOSE to your target, but it'll take a lot of work to get it that cheap. Checking out discount places and places that are more warehouse-esque than Rona/Home Depot major retailers will also help. If you do all the labour yourself or with help, it's very possible.

If you have to hire labour, though, I don't think it's possible at all.

-Hideo