Rams -- Bolivian v.s. German

FishEdGirl

Last night I went to Big Al's in Edmonton to get myself some Rams.

Background: I'm new to rams, have never kept them before. But I wanted to try a new dwarf cichlid and research of the rams divulged a good temperament.

So, I pick two Rams out of a tank marked GERMAN RAMS at Big Al's (Edmonton), tottle them home, go back into my research papers and books, and realize that the fish floating in the bag - floating in the tank - look little like the German Ram pictures in my papers.

**(apologies; I do not have a digital camera)**

The Rams I paid an arm and a leg for look just like Bolivians! They have none of the vibrant colouring of Germans...

So my question is this:

What are the visual, cosmetic differences to distinguish between the Germans and the Bolivians??? How do I know that I got what I paid Big Al for???

When they're small, they look very similar; but, the Germans will have more vibrant coloring than Bolivians, which have more pastel coloring. Germans seem to max out at aroudn 3-4", while Bolivians will get a bit bigger.

Both are pretty easy to keep and breed - hatching and raising fry could be another story.

Germans usually come in 2 color morphs, blue and gold. Bolivians tend to be what I refer to as a more natural color. All are great looking fish, tho!

HTH

I have bolivian, german, and gold rams. I bet you got your fish out of the middle isle where they store all the new tanks if so that tanks was about 95% females The other tank across from the saltwater fish had some males in it. My female germans are less colorful looking more like the bolivians so I believe the rams you got are females. If you look at the black spot on the side of them if you see any blue specks within the black spot it's a female no blue specks its a male, and you can tell by the more brightly colored.

HTH :D

I have bolivian, german, and gold rams. I bet you got your fish out of the middle isle where they store all the new tanks if so that tanks was about 95% females The other tank across from the saltwater fish had some males in it. My female germans are less colorful looking more like the bolivians so I believe the rams you got are females. If you look at the black spot on the side of them if you see any blue specks within the black spot it's a female no blue specks its a male, and you can tell by the more brightly colored.

HTH :D

Sounds like I should've taken you with me when I bought these guys!

(....errrr, girls...Hell I'm just gonna call 'em Hermaphrodites!!)

Yep, I got them from the tank facing the central area where they keep the plants/etc. I went through that whole darn area and didn't see anymore with the exception of the golds around the corner.

One of my Hermaphrodites ;) looks just as you've described; the blue within the black spot. This one also has very vibrant black stripes. The other Hermo (nehehehe) doesn't really have any black with the exception of a faint line through the eye...no blue that I can actually see.

Thanks Murminator!! :D

I was also thinking of Rams.. would 2 go good in a 10 gal community tank ( curent occupent is a lone beta (can move her) and what were the prices at BS'a ) im like 20 blks from BAS'a in mIllwoods

thanks DF

I just love the Bolivian ram, it's true their coloring is not as spectacular as the Germans but wait till they show their spawning colors. I think Bolivians make great community tank members, they are very gentle until they are guarding their young. Not sure how a Betta would affect them but I have kept them with Tetras, Swordtails, Angles and guppies, they posed no threat to any of them. I would only be worried that the Betta would bug them.

Out here in Winnipeg at the LFS Bolivians and Germans go for about $10 to $14 each. They are incredibly cute and fun to keep.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed keeping both Bolivian (Microgeophagus altispinosa) and German Rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi). The German Rams can be a bit more sensitive to water conditions, however both will readily spawn in a home aquarium if the conditions are right. I've successfully bred both species and they're a delight to keep. Here are a few pictures of some of the specimens I kept. As you can see, these fish can really turn on the colors when they're in their breeding dress. All four fish below had spawned in my tanks.

German Ram (female)

fabfc1e4.jpg

German Ram (male)

HPIM1201.jpg

Bolivian Ram (female)

ba9f5f48.jpg

Bolivian Ram (male)

Microgeophagusaltispinosamale-breed.jpg

Edited by JHG

• 4 months later...

I have been keeping Bolivian Rams for about 2.5 years now. Great addition to a community tank and only seem to chace their own species around but are oblivious to any other fish.

It just seemed like a perfect addition to a tank considering my wife is from Bolivia!

another great way to tell is the eye if the colouring hasn't developed yet. The german rams have red around their eyes whereas bolivian rams do not.

I noticed this even when they were small, so size shouldn't make a difference.

Maniac

Edited by maniac

• 4 weeks later...