Stand construction

AndyL

Hey folks,

Ok, need expert advice... Never claimed I was a carpenter! (Although I did stay at a holiday inn express last night -roll- )

Need to build a stand for my frag tanks 2@ 24.5"x24.5"x16" (~40g), was going to do my typical 2x4 construction, with some plywood reinforcing and MDF to skin and make it nice. Yes I know all about mdf & water/saltwater - that's why i've already ordered 2part epoxy paint (barely more expensive than laquer)

The plan is to stack the tanks, leaving room (23") underneath for the sump - thus the reason for leaving out the 2x4s, can't fit the sump underneath if I use a 2x4 frame to support (not enough vertical space left).

So the question really is what is the best way to build this? My thought was basically to build a plywood box, with 4" doublers, covered by a shelf for the tanks to sit on. Sound adequate? Or do I need more reinforcement?

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I just completed a stand for my new 90G tank I got from Overstocked. I made the stand out of 3/4inch G1S plywood (1 sheet) and fir trim, I have not painted it yet as I can not decide on a colour. Before I set the tank up I had a couple of buddies come over to sit on it :thumbs: (total wt about 600lbs) and there was no wobble or movement of any kind. I used lots of glue and screws, trim nails for the fir. Presently I am designing a canopy top for it, and I plan to get dark glass doors for it. Total cost of materials for the stand (without the doors) was less than $125.00. What amazed me was how strong but light this stand is.

post-120-1146077583_thumb.jpg

post-120-1146077644_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ratchet

Before I set the tank up I had a couple of buddies come over to sit on it (total wt about 600lbs) and there was no wobble or movement of any kind.

You have very trusting (or foolish) :lol: friends. Looks really good. Make sure to update us when you have it finished.