YAY !!! I have Babies

Murminator

Well I guess a couple old friends reunited and spawned :D I noticed since I got Sarahs rams her female and one of my males seemed to be tolerant of each other then this eve I was looking toward the tank and 2 where near the top and one came cruising in and was chased out big time while the other held its post then it chased a catfish off, which I thought was weird they never chase them off. So I had a look inside and behold a little rock covered in pinkish eggs and momma sitting right over them :D . If there is going to be another spawn I will put them in a new tank and try to raise them I did get some pics but they are crappy did get a little video though....well off to do more research

http://media.putfile.com/ram-eggs

The video

http://media.putfile.com/Ram-eggs2

And another

Edited by Murminator

Heh... I guess she got tired of the same-old-same-old, and when she saw "that cute guy from high school" again, it was "out with the old, in with the new"!! :lol:

Just an update I set up a 5 gal for the eggs but I chose to leave in the community tank, because of conflicting info on the net, and not being sure of myself just let the 1st batch play out so I know what to expect.

This morning all the eggs are gone but the parents dug 2 pits not far away and seem to be protecting the pits but I took a flashlight and cannot seem to find anything in the pits....too small? Last night when I checked on them they were still all pink except 4 were whitish (unfertilized?) I was expecting some change to occur in the eggs before hatching such ans seeing eyes. Does all this sound normal?

IME, they won't move the eggs. However, this behavior sounds like the eggs have hatched, and the parents are guarding the fry. They're pretty small, and will likely stay put for a day or two. If you have microworms, that would be a good food to feed them, when they become free-swimming. They'll also take egg-yoke emulsion and/or crushed fishfood (NLS Grow would be good!).

HTH.

Well thay all hatched and I have a quivering mass of babies you really have to stare for a while to see them. The parents and dug about 6-7 pits and is constanly moving them or maybe they move, themselves I dunno. I have some BBS and first bites power on hand for when they get to free swim stage.

Just a quick up date I came home to a whole bunch of free swimming babies I'll say between 50-100 The parents are watching closely when they stray to far they suck them up and spit them back in the group. But there is 20 other fish keeping a very closer eye and not to far from the group. I dunno how long they can fight them off. I have a 5G set up for about a week with a new sponge filter, but I did open my fluval and cut a 3"X1.5" chuck of the grungy sponge and put it in the tank with it., and all the water in the tank is from the diplay tank they are in. Should I siphon them up and put them in the 5G? alone or with the parents?

Right now they are house with black skirts, columbian rainbows, cherry barbs, leopard danios, neons, bloodfins, cories, and rubberlip pleco

Well another update I went back to the tank and it was like piranhas on a wildebeest quickly chased everyone off and dug out the siphone and went to work and got the remainders then I scooped up the parents and took them too. Wellll I'm not sure what was going on either they were scooping up all the babies for protection or eating them but all went in their mouths. I'm not going near the tank for a bit to let them relax. I took them out in 3 small loads the biggest load I counted was 32 babies so I'm guesing around 70ish were there.

Hoping for goodnews :cry:

They won't hold them long - not like mbuna. They usually just pick 'em up and spit them somewhere safer. When the fry are free swimming you can feed them microwors, and should be able to take crushed flake/pellet in a week or so.