Question Regarding NLS and Demasoni

SerLunchbox

So i am planning on doing a demasoni/lab/petricola tank.

I was wondering, since Demasoni are mostly vegetarian would NLS cichlid formula be good for them since the main ingredients are herring and krill.

I figured i would ask this question since they recommend 95% spirulina for thier primary diet and i don't seem to see any in the NLS ingredient list for the Cichlid Formula

Edited by SerLunchbox

FYI ....... New Life Spectrum contains a large amount of greens, in the form of Kelp, Seaweed, Haematococcus pluvialis (a form of micro-algae), as well as Spirulina.

I figured i would ask this question since they recommend 95% spirulina for thier primary diet

I'm not too sure who recommended that to you, but they obviously don't know what they are talking about. No fish will thrive on a diet of 95% spirulina, and that's why none of the major fish food manufacturers make such a food. Spirulina is a great raw ingredient, but fish can only assimilate so much spirulina due to it's high mineral content. The rest gets expelled as waste. If these fish did require such a specialized diet, none of the herbivores being exported from Malawi & Tanganyika would survive long enough to reach North America, as the exporters that work these lakes for a living ALL feed a bulk fish meal based food. Even fish classified as strict herbivores need marine proteins, and the amino acids found in those marine proteins, for growth, repair, breeding, and overall optimum health. You can read more about this in the following article that I wrote:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/new_life_spectrum.php

And if you think that herbivores won't thrive on NLS, then you might want to try convincing the people on this page who own strict herbivores, and who feed NLS exclusively.

http://www.cichlid-food-canada.com/gallery.html

The demasoni shown below were also raised on an exclusive diet of NLS. B)

ben-d1.jpg

ben-d2.jpg

Hope that helps.

Edited by RD.

I hesitantly switched my mbuna, and later tropheus, to new life spectrum awhile back and didn't have any problems. Quite a few other people whom I know have also switched their herbivores over without any issues. I would of course caution that the change should be made gradually.