Compatability Question

DAlberta

I have a tank with some serpae's, black skirt tetras, gold skirt tetras and a few rosy barbs. I had some dojo loaches and weather loaches in with them but the fish harrassed and chewed the fins off my loaches! :boxed:

What other bottom feeders could I try with these guys? I have kuhlis, upside down catfish, clown loaches & some bronze cories that I haven't tried for fear they will be chewed too. Any ideas?

Tammy

Wow, interesting that the loaches were getting harassed. All those things seem pretty peaceful, even the barbs I believe are a peaceful variety. Maybe all the fish you had in their with fish-racist and were commiting hate crimes on the loaches! They don't like long fish, because they're always stealing air but jumping the surface to hog it all. ;-)

A bronze cory I think should be alright, the boney scutes should be able to keep them free from harm from weaker tetra and barb mouthes. Or if that fails, you could always try Amblydoras Hancocki, whose bony plates have little spikes on them, too. That should teach those other fish not to bite at the bottom dwellers! Maybe it's the Rosy Barbs, I understand they occupy the lower parts of a tank, maybe they're feeling jealous.

-Hideo

I have 4 cory cats, USD cats, clown and yo-yo loaches, four kinds of barbs including Rosies, 6 kinds of tetras, 2 kinds of plecos, along with guppies, swordtails, and platys all together and the only one that bit anyone was an Ameca Splenden that I moved to a cichlid tank to teach it to behave. That being said if any of the above fish should suffer fin damage, the barbs will nip at the wounds.

I have clowns, dojo's, tiger barbs, black skirts, flame tails, white skirt(I think),Rosey barbs, ottos, and a rubber lip all living quite peacefully. How many of each do you have as some get bored if not in a small group and will tail chew.

I have ameca splendens and a gold algae eater in with various tetras and barbs and everyone gets along fine. There are also a pair of Angels, a pair of Opaline gouramis, some yellow labs and malawi dolphin fry. The splendens will occasionally nip at the angels, but so far not enough to be a problem.

It was mostly the serpae tetras doing the nipping at the loaches..I was rather surprised because the loaches are huge compared to the serpaes!

I have 7 serpaes and mostly they are peaceful with the other fish...occasionally pick on each other but...they had a loach vendetta I guess. Once they started picking on them, the gold skirts and even a minnow got in on the action!

I think I will try a few of my cories and see how that goes...if that fails, send in the clowns!

Tammy