Possible to keep lobster/crab?

What's the likelyhood of being able to house something like that in a home aquarium?

From what I have read in books and such, it seems like they can be kept in an aquarium, and many scientists have raised them easily.

I assume it would be quite costly, but if one were to do it, would you buy them from the store, or some kind of supplier?

-Hideo

Don't lobsters and crabs just sit? What is your motivation for housing a non-active organism?

Anyway, I'd imagine you would buy one from a supermarket since they are considered a food rather than a pet. In fact, since it's a food source, I would imagine that the coloration would not rival that of a typical lobster/crab caught specifically for aquaria.

I THINK they are the same, but ones I saw were really small.....2" max, maybe.

Not sure about the antennae, but cool....very cool. There'd be nothing like my wife having breakfast in front of the tank, and having THAT thing start crawling out behind the rocks towards her. :lol:

It looks like what's commonly refered to as a "spiny lobster". An oceanic crustacean that doesn't have the large pincers that those tasty guys in the supermarket have. :P

I took a winter job working for a restaurant supply company which serves the oriental market (Chinese, Vietnamese, Laosian etc) and I regularly pick up live crab and lobster. They get put into a styrofoam box and scratch at the sides during their journey (from the seafood shop back to the warehouse). They then get forwarded to Banff

I agree you would probably need a chiller to keep these critters going.

Dave