Kudos Big Al's Edmonton :)

Krystle

Stopped by Big Al's edmonton today as ted tipped me off thast they just got in a shipment of some Tung Hoi goldies, and so I made a point of taking the bus there after school. Well, to my delight it was an excellent experience :) The goldies looked amazing, the staff was knowlesgable, and the service was great :bow:

I ended up spending literally 10 times the amount had set out intending to spend because I was so pleased. I am now mom to a gorgeous huge pure white tung hoi ryukin, a huge black tung hoi ryukin, and a little tung hoi crown pearlscale :) And he gave me 25% off the goldfish so I decided to buy the New Life Spectrum goldfish formula and Thera-A from him :) The goldfish weren't supposed to be 25% off, but since I spent so much, he did it out of goodwill.

The nice thing is that those were actually excellent prices for those fish to begin with :beer:

Since you were down on that side of town you should have stopped by Dad's fishroom. Its only a bit north of big al's

So when do we get to see pics of the new little guys?

>.< wish I'd known that! lol

and you can see pics as soon as I get a camera other than my crappy webcam lol ;)

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok this is extremely weird guys!

Samuel died! Samuel was the big black ryukin (named after Samuel L. Jackson, because yes, he really is just THAT black LOL :P) and I just woke up and found him on his side :(

I have no idea what the heck happened! The fish were in a 20 gallon quarantine tub, never used for anything but, water quality perfect, infact they just got a water change yesterday with same temperature, PRIME treated water. The fish was active and eating NLS thera-A yesterday night???

All it's fins were erect, even now it's color is perfect, no external symptoms whatsoever, so blood streaks and I never once saw it gasp or bottom sit???

It's eyes aren't even clouded and the fish isn't stiff so I guess it didn't pass very long ago. I just bought them on the 24, so atleast it's within the 5 day guarantee :( I really loved him tho, too bad :'(

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

*hauls out the python* emergency water change time.

that's the worst part - is that it's such a mystery :( if I can pin it down, even if it's my fault, i feel better. But not knowing makes me very, very uneasy. I've gone over the symptoms (or rather, the lack thereof) and the possible causes of death and nothing matches up! For an 80 dollar fish this is very unsettling for me :cry:

ph shock? no, no increased slime cost, no piping, no bottom sitting, nothing, no signs of distress whatsoever.

poor water quality? no blood streaks in fins, no gasping or bottom sitting, gills are a perfect bright red, fins were full and erect...

gill flukes? nope, fish showed no signs of them whatsoever and I had treated the water with prazi pro (which is very mild and doesn't harm the bio-filter) just in case since they were imported and pond raised anyways.

I didn't spray anything in my room, there was no power surge, the filter wasn't off for any period of time that would have allowed for anaerobic conditions, and the filter in the tank was a VERY established sponge filter from another tank I keep running for quarantine tanks.

see why I feel like banging my head against a brick wall? oh well. there's always the chance I'll fall in love with another fish at BA's or atleast get the refund, which is always welcome, especially around visa payment time lol.

OMG OMG OMG

LMFAO

WOW

well... While I was just doing the water change, I noticed something. They SPAWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right boys and girls I have a tung hoi ryukin spawn on my hands atm :D OMFG!!!!!!! That may have been what killed the blAck ryukn, the white ryukin may have chased her to death!

OMG!!!!!

Now to keep them from eating the eggs...

Neil your food is GOLD!

thanks guys :) I'm so stoked and already moved Truffles, the bronze crown pearlscale to another tank, but don't know what to do with the white Ryukin...

I have to move him so he doesn't eat the eggs, tho.

Oh btw, I'm so excited over the eggs and their subsequent care I decided there's absolutely no way I can go t school today :P

you're right! I'm newly converted Neil, you sell great food. Goldies definitely do still need fresh foods in their diet occasionally simply because they're so very prone to constipation and swimbladder, (that scrunched up body and deformed GI tract) but your food is definitely my staple pellet of choice :) So if anybody else with fancies asks you can tell them that from my experience they thrive and spawn on NLS :D

Does anybody know if Cyclopeeze works instead of BBS cuz I really don't want to go through the hassle of hatching the little critters.

Does anybody know if Cyclopeeze works instead of BBS cuz I really don't want to go through the hassle of hatching the little critters.

You can also buy frozen bbs. I've used cyclops for my african fry but I've never raised goldfish so i dont' know if it would work for them or not.

I've used cyclops-eeze for raising Syno. petricola fry, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for your goldies. Even used crushed flake too for them and never noticed any difference in losses. My best recommendation would be to use a small (5 gallon) tank with a sponge filter for as long as you can to grow them out b/c that way you can always have food available to them (almost saturate the water) floating around, and in a larger tank you'd need much more food.

Congrats!