Fish Choking

Moogled

My killifish just swallowed a whole rummynose tetra after I put 4 in. Should I be worried? I'm assuming so because it looks like the tetra is just stuck there.

How should I make him regurgitate it?

Update: Nevermind, I just scooped the killifish out and toyed around with it until it spit the rummynose back out.

RIP new fish.

Edited by Moogled

I have seen fish swim around for hours with half of someone else literally 'hanging out' with no ill effects. Apparently the fish (as in the bigger one ;) ) will just swallow back enough until it hits what we would liken to a stomach and then just keep pushing it back until it's all digested.

I had the same thing happen with my leptobarbus trying to swallow a cory. I'd seen my oscars do it before as well, but with danios. Seeing as the cory has quite a large head, I was a little more worried. So I just scooped it out with a net, and gently pulled on the cory to get it out. Though it had been over 4 hours, amazingly the cory was still alive, and happily swam back down to join his friends. The lepto wasn't struggling or anything, either, which I think was his way of thanking me ;-)

Since the cory was not very long, I could tell it hadn't reached its stomache, which is what prompted me to pull it out. Since than, neither of my lepto's have tried to eat any of the smaller fish. Which is good, cuz those damn cories were like 8$ a piece.

-Hideo

lmao... well ya.. I suppose my 'generality' never accounted for cory cats (if there has ever been a fish that was shaped like a plug, there it is...) or the bigger fish not being big enough... great pictures Christian!

In most cases do you notice it seems they go in head first? Most pictures you see usually show a tail sticking out of the larger fishes mouth. You would think the smaller fish would be trying to get away not diving in head first.

In most cases do you notice it seems they go in head first? Most pictures you see usually show a tail sticking out of the larger fishes mouth. You would think the smaller fish would be trying to get away not diving in head first.

The little fish decides that all is lost and thinks " What the Hell!" they scream out "Bonsai!" and dive right in. JK. The pike would have a lot of trouble swallowing a perch tail first because of the spiny fins, It would be like trying to swallow an open umbrella. A lot of fish have similar fins, so standard practise is to hit and stun the fish and then swallow it, unless of course it is one of the fish with a death wish.

The little fish decides that all is lost and thinks " What the Hell!" they scream out "Bonsai!" and dive right in

Thanks Harold. Now I have a picture of a fish wearing a kamikazi bandana stuck in my mind. :lol:

Except that 'Bonsai' is a very small Japanese tree....

Unless he meant banzai, which would be a little closer :-) Lesser known fact, banzai means "ten thousand years", technically, it was actually more of a, "long live the emperor" / "may the emperor live for ten thousand years", though nowadays, it is meant as more of a congratulation.

Interestingly, I actually have a sketch in which a cat is driving around a little submarine in a large aquarium, and the fish are wearing little Hachimaki.

-Hideo

OK OK but you all knew what I meant. GEE -01-

This is what I meant. During WWII, banzai became the warcry of sorts for Japanese soldiers, with kamikaze pilots reportedly shouting banzai as they rammed their planes into enemy ships. Though a little fish yelling that or "little tree," would speak volumes of the fish's vocal skills and or it's mind set at the time of impending death. Besides I was attacked by a 40 ouncer of RYE so I don't too much care what you think. :D God 3rd CAS auction in a row with a hangover. :drunk:

Edited by HOSStile