Can I remove snails...

I am starting a new tank and want to move everything over but the present tank has a case of snails from the plants I bought forever ago.

I was wondering if there is a solution to get rid of these suckers without killing my plants and bacteria in the filters??

Suggestions very welcome!

clown, or yoyo loaches do well. I like yoyos myself.

or you could get some dwarf puffers. Now those are professional snail exterminators. I will guarantee that you will have no snails after a month, or I'll buy the puffers from you! :D

My suggestion (if its possible) put a plate with algae wafers (or zuccini) in the bottom of your tank in the evenning or close to night time, shut off your light and over night they should all go to the plate. I am not to sure if this will work for you, but its worth a shot.

You can give everything a bleach dip. Make up a bucket of 5% (ie. 1:20) bleach water. Dip your plants in there for about 10-20 seconds, and it should get rid of your problem.

This however, won't kill the snails in your filter....

Might need a copper treatment :(

You can give everything a bleach dip. Make up a bucket of 5% (ie. 1:20) bleach water. Dip your plants in there for about 10-20 seconds, and it should get rid of your problem.

This however, won't kill the snails in your filter....

Might need a copper treatment :(

I was thinking the same. Will copper harm the bacteria in the filter??

I don't think so... you should check the labels of the various 'snail remedies' to make sure tho.

Thanks Jason! BTW the Cardinals are doing great. Thanks again.

Pat

Glad to hear!

I was thinking the same. Will copper harm the bacteria in the filter??

I dont' know about harming the bacteria but it can be really harsh on everything else in the aquarium. Also if you have lots of snails and you kill them off with copper you have to be careful of your water quality afterwards as hundreds of dead snails can polute the tank very quickly.

That's an excellent point about the die-off. Pat, you'll have to rinse everything off pretty good when you move it - use a tub of dechlorinated tap water to rinse all the snail carcasses out.