Heating fish room

Devon

I am moving all of my tanks into one small room, so that I can heat it to the proper temperature, and take out the tank heaters. What's the best way to keep a room at a constant temperature, seperate from the rest of the house? Preferably the cheapest, most energy efficient way.

I am moving all of my tanks into one small room, so that I can heat it to the proper temperature, and take out the tank heaters. What's the best way to keep a room at a constant temperature, seperate from the rest of the house? Preferably the cheapest, most energy efficient way.

Insulating the room and installing a small natural-gas heater would probably be the most sensible way. Do you really have enough tanks to make it viable though? I can't see it being particularly advantageous unless you're running at least 1000 gallons. If you’re looking to conserve electricity a better method might be to invest in a small linear-piston pump and move your tanks to sponges and eliminate the power filters.

Insulating the room and installing a small natural-gas heater would probably be the most sensible way. Do you really have enough tanks to make it viable though? I can't see it being particularly advantageous unless you're running at least 1000 gallons. If you’re looking to conserve electricity a better method might be to invest in a small linear-piston pump and move your tanks to sponges and eliminate the power filters.

No, it's worth it, it will also be a reptile room so I won't have to use as much water to keep humidity up in cages , won't need near as many heat lamps/heating pads/etc. Sorry, I forgot to mention that it won't be just a fish room!

A friend did this with his snake room. I gave him a Honeywell baseboard heater, kind of like a regular space heater without a fan, that I had no use for anymore. It has a built in thermostat and as I understand it does an amazing job of keeping the room temp stable. I would just make sure that it isn't capable of getting the room too hot if something happened and it failed "on". I know somebody that happened to, very bad.

You can get them at Wal Mart for < $80.

A friend did this with his snake room. I gave him a Honeywell baseboard heater, kind of like a regular space heater without a fan, that I had no use for anymore. It has a built in thermostat and as I understand it does an amazing job of keeping the room temp stable. I would just make sure that it isn't capable of getting the room too hot if something happened and it failed "on". I know somebody that happened to, very bad.

You can get them at Wal Mart for < $80.

Thanks, yeah, I was at home depot today and saw some space heaters with thermostats. I just hate the ones that aren't specific, it's hard to regulate them...I saw one that was perfect for me, one with a digital thermostat that you could set the temperature on, and set it to raise and cool the room at different times. So, I could do a small drop in temperature at night...although, would that be safe for the fish? Or should I just keep the room temperature constant.

Thanks, yeah, I was at home depot today and saw some space heaters with thermostats. I just hate the ones that aren't specific, it's hard to regulate them...I saw one that was perfect for me, one with a digital thermostat that you could set the temperature on, and set it to raise and cool the room at different times. So, I could do a small drop in temperature at night...although, would that be safe for the fish? Or should I just keep the room temperature constant.

Now that I think about it, my Mom had one of these the last time I went to visit. I liked it.

I'm still of the opinion that anything like this should be mated to a second rheostat. Just grab a Zoo Med or ESU one, set it for 90 and plug the heater into it. You would probably never need it but if something ever did happen it could save your animals. I'm thinking that $40 is cheap insurance in this case.

Tortis will probably point out that I am still bitter and paranoid after the great cuttlefish massacre of '04 (perpetrated by my tronic heater) and he'd be right. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me though.

I'd go with the constant temp for all involved, set it for 80. If you need to provide more warmth in specific cages then use smaller bulbs or heat pads. I don't know what kind of collection you have but you might find that once you get it all in one room you won't need much, or any, supplemental heat. I have a beardie, 2 gecko cages and a couple PCs in my extra bedroom. That was enough heat that the small reef tank in there does not need a heater and I keep the window cracked a bit all year round.

Now that I think about it, my Mom had one of these the last time I went to visit. I liked it.

I'm still of the opinion that anything like this should be mated to a second rheostat. Just grab a Zoo Med or ESU one, set it for 90 and plug the heater into it. You would probably never need it but if something ever did happen it could save your animals. I'm thinking that $40 is cheap insurance in this case.

Tortis will probably point out that I am still bitter and paranoid after the great cuttlefish massacre of '04 (perpetrated by my tronic heater) and he'd be right. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me though.

I'd go with the constant temp for all involved, set it for 80. If you need to provide more warmth in specific cages then use smaller bulbs or heat pads. I don't know what kind of collection you have but you might find that once you get it all in one room you won't need much, or any, supplemental heat. I have a beardie, 2 gecko cages and a couple PCs in my extra bedroom. That was enough heat that the small reef tank in there does not need a heater and I keep the window cracked a bit all year round.

I bought a Honeywell Oscillating heater with a digital thermostat today...I have it set at 80, but when it turns off my thermometer says 77....

Due to a thermostat-failure on an expensive ceramic space heater about 4 years ago, I lost about $18,000 in reptiles....believe you me, I know.

Due to a thermostat-failure on an expensive ceramic space heater about 4 years ago, I lost about $18,000 in reptiles....believe you me, I know.

You guys are scaring me! What should I do to ensure this doesn't happen?

You could either

a) have a bad thermometer or controller in the heater. Try another thermometer

B) The sensor you the heater is right at the source. It may be warmer right there than in another part of the room.

For safety you need to get something like this:

http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNum...elationship=179

Stick the sensor on the wall somewhere and set the temperature on it to 90. The heater plugs into that and it will provide power to the heater as long as the temp stays below 90. You set your heater to maintain 80 and it will always remain on, unless the heater locks on in witch case the controller shuts it down when it passes 90. Simple setup really and I think well worth the cost.