too many bubbles

johnsmith

Maybe I should have mentioned I also have the "prefilter" attachment on this AC 802 powerhead. It isn't near the top at all. If it was pulling anything in it would be the returning water from the AC 500, which could contain some air bubbles that are being spread out further through the powerhead.

I don't really have a lot of options as to where this thing can go b/c of where my electrical outlet is.

I'm thinking maybe I'll put it in the middle of the tank and point it directly at the glass. That should stir things around quite a bit.

Any thoughts on that or the original dilemma?

It might be due to gases coming out of solution. Is it a planted tank? If so, you may have an excess of O2. Is the tank overly dirty? Might be NO2? I really don't konw... just some guesses.

The other idea I have is that the electricity is electrolysing the water, and it's spitting out H2 and O2 gas - but, I think that's pretty unlikely.

Is the tank overly dirty? Might be NO2?

:o How dare you! :chair:

J/K I appreciate the guesses.

The tank isn't planted and I don't think it's a dirty tank. I change at least 30% of the water every monday and I move stuff around enough that I doubt any waste is building up.

I'm going to raise it a bit and see if that helps.

Is the tank overly dirty? Might be NO2?

:o How dare you! :chair:

J/K I appreciate the guesses.

The tank isn't planted and I don't think it's a dirty tank. I change at least 30% of the water every monday and I move stuff around enough that I doubt any waste is building up.

I'm going to raise it a bit and see if that helps.

Yeah... I didn't really think that was the issue. It would have to be REALLY dirty for it to start releasing nitrogenous gases.

The more I think about it, the more the electorlysis makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved it up a bit and it seemed to get better then I did a water change and rinsed out the media and the bubbles were back in full force. So I took off the quick filter attachment and the bubbles have gone away.

I guess that attachment is the problem. Has anyone else had problems with that type of attachment?

It could just be air stuck in the sponge part of the filter.... Have you tried pulling the media out of the filter, submersing it, and squeezing all the air out of it? That might help.