broken tail?

s.h.

i just recently purchased a ruby red from harold and it seems to have a broken tail. its quite pale around the tail area and is swimming awkwardly. it seems quite helpless and is swimming in the corner by the heater. is there anything i can do to help this? will he last in my tank?

Well since no one else is responding i'll give it a try.

IME once a fish is swimming upside down its usually too late. The only things you can really do is keep the water as clean as possible, reduss as much of the stress as possible and hope for the best.

If you provide a bit more info maybe we could help a bit more. How long have you had this fish? Was is acting and looking normal when Harold had him? Did he seem sick right after adding him to the tank. What were his exact symptoms? How did you add him to the tank(how did you acclimate)? Were there other fish that could have picked on him? The more detail you provide the better people can try and help.

i just got him today. Gina brought them back from calgary and one is fine but the other one started to swim quite weird as soon as i put him in the tank. looked like he had a broken tail. i used my hands (which were of course washed) to put the fish into the tank after floating them in the bags for half an hour. some of the fish picked on him and thats when i decided to place him into the fish net breeder. i found him hiding behind a rock not moving and thougt he was dead but then caught him and placed him in. he is now floating upside down but his fins are still moving and such. harold told me that the fish were fine and gina said the same as well and i do not doubt them. could it just be the stress from travelling to so many different tanks in a short period of time?

Gee, how history repeats itself. LOL

I got some Ruby's from Calgary as well one time and they hopped through 4 tanks. I lost one as well, but I think it was shipping stress as it looked like a bacterial infection.

I'm sorry I have no idea what could be wrong with yours. If someone had an idea, they would say so. Could be you have a very unique case.