"Teenage" Pregnancy is a concern in our household

Tanker

:P LOVE the title...

Anyways, good news! I have a Ps. 'acei' (Tanzania) holding and it's SUCH a beautiful thing... she is barely even big enough to breed (2") and already she's jumping into the sack with the first stud that comes her way.

This is good because: out of the five fish I have of this variant... this means I have at least one boy, and one girl... an issue since I am a terrible 'venter'.

This is bad news because I also have Ps. 'acei' (Luwala) (or whatever the 'regular' yellow tails are) in there... so there may be some kissing cousins.

Anyone else had Acei fry? Do they show their colours right off the bat or will I have to grow them out to know if there has been some cross-kink action? I knew I would have to seperate them eventually, but didn't expect them to be getting down to business so soon. I would assume that if they are cross-bred I'll get some that will have the one style of tail marking, and some with the other?? Or?? What do I expect or do I have to basically ditch the bunch as being hybrids just to be safe?

I have five Tanzanias in the tank, and only three Luwalas... so there are four suspects that make it pure bred... and three possiblities that these are hybrid fry.

What to DO???

Congrats :beer:

My Acei fry showed colors right away. It did take a bit(a week or so) to really be able to tell their fins were yellow though. When they were newly spit they were really tiny.

If all your acei are in the same tank cross breeding could easily happen. The only way to be sure 100% is to witness the breeding. I would think a Acei X Acei might be hard to tell if its a hybrid or not just by looking at it.

Meh... if they are crosses, I'll just sell them as Ps. acei... no region! lol... Just kidding... they'll be cray food.

I am going to put together a tank for the three yellow tails soon enough... thought I had a little time still, but apparently not. At least I'll know from that point on what is what.