Fluval FX5

rudy

Very impressive filter. Quiet, easy to operate and tons of room in the biochambers.

Pumps a ton of water. Only drawbacks I would say is the tank clips are so skinny that I can't put them over the trim of my tank. I can't imagine they designed these for 55 gallon tanks so it seems a bit strange and a bit of a nuisance.

Great filter overall and I plan to get another as on my upstairs tank I do not trust wet drys.

I'd have to agree with that Rudy. Great filter, moves a ton of water, but for a filter this size you should not have to notch out the clips to fit on a larger tank. When I set it up on my display tank in the store it took me longer to notch it out than to set up the rest of the filter. That will be my one and complaint to my Hagen Rep.

• 2 weeks later...

I realy like my fx5, I got one after my 403 crashed a couple of weeks ago. The only mistake I made was to not keep my sponges from my old filter, took a couple of days to bring things back to normal. But no problems yet with it. I have a 90g and I found that the clips that hange over the trim fit very nicely. How big of a system did you set it up on Medicdude?

To Hagen's credit, the instruction manual for a FX5 does make a provision for euro-braced tanks; illustrating the instance and advising you to buy an extra set of hose clips (the ones that help to 'shape' the hose) to fit over and then under the lip. Granted, this comes at a small extra cost, but not all tanks are euro's so it's a fair trade. Nice to see them at least acknowledge the existance and make mention of it.

• 4 years later...