Calc and alk issues (long)

Hello everyone. I guess in order to answer my question im going to have to give you a bit of info, so here we go.

90 gal.

40 lbs. live rock

4" dsb

prizm pro deluxe skimmer

fluval 404 (mainly for flow) - got some phosphate sponge in there though

3 maxi jet 1200's

2 blue damsel

1 yellow tail wrasse

no corals yet

Last weeks

Ph 8.3

calcium- 220

Alk 7.3 dkh

This weeks

Ph 8.1

calcium 240

Alk 7.0 dkh

My problem is I need to get my calcium up to atleast 360ppm. Ever since I started I was using a Ph buffer whenever I added top off water, or changed water. I kept adding and adding calcium supplement without seeing any changes. I was told to not use the buffer anymore and keep adding calcium until you get to the desired level, then start using a 2 part additive. Because I dont have a kalk reactor or anything. I have been doing that and have not really seen any changes. There is nothing in the tank that really uses the calcium so I can't understand where it is all going. And now with my Alk and Ph dropping I am afraid it's going to get to low for comfort. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing and add the calcium. Or is there something I am missing here?? I am using RO water since 2 weeks ago for top offs and WC now. Any comments or suggestions are very, very welcome!!

Thanks all sorry it was so long.

Mark

Long post? You must be new here... :lol:

I can't help you with this one, but eventually one of our more experienced salt keepers will come on and give you a hand. If not, try sending a PM to BlkWolfe, muck, Michael Roth, midgetwaiter, to name a few.

The pH buffer is what caused this. Your calcium has been precipitated out of the water as Ca03 by the alkalinity buffer. The 2 part additive isn't fixing things because you are increasing alk along with the calcium, then having calcium precipitate out as Ca03, and so on.

This link explains the issue better than I can:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

In the article the author has a zone graph that shows common issues, your problem is Zone 3. There are some good recommendations there. I would probably do a few partial water changes before I did anything else and then try an correct the problem, if you have trouble finding the calcium chloride I can probably get my hands on some Turbo Calcium for you.

I actually have only been dosing straight calcium. On the bottle it says it will raise calcium and keep magnesium levels. Do I need to get calcium chloride? I asked the guy at gold's(lfs) and that is what he gave me? That article you posted is very good though. Explains everything very well. Maybe I just have to wait longer before things change. I hate waiting !!!

I actually have only been dosing straight calcium. On the bottle it says it will raise calcium and keep magnesium levels. Do I need to get calcium chloride? I asked the guy at gold's(lfs) and that is what he gave me? That article you posted is very good though. Explains everything very well. Maybe I just have to wait longer before things change. I hate waiting !!!

That should work okay. You will prbably just have to wait it out.

Well turns out I mis calculated my dosing procedures. I wasn't adding enough. I finally got my calcium levels to 340 ppm which is way better. But now my alk reading is 80 ?? the hagen test confuses me though, with all the dkh's and meq/l I don't know what 80 is refering to but I'm pretty sure thats way low.