T12 or T8

johnsmith

I think they both work fine. Just gotta make sure that the light intensity is strong enough to reach the bottom of your tank or at least to the plants. If it's a shallow tank, then T-12 should do it. Also, there are plant lights for T-12's at Home Depot or Revy. I'm not sure about the plant lights for the T-8's but I think they are more intense than the T-12. Good luck

I agree w. Wibber. I'd go w. T8s every time. Not much more expensive, and will give off more usable light at equal wattages. If you're going w. a 4' tank, I'd say go w. at least 2 bulbs. For growing plants, the general rule of thumb is 1-2 Watts per gallon = no suplimental CO2 needed, fertilize as needed (ie. get NO4 & PO4 test kits). If you're getting over 2 WPG, I'd start thinking of adding CO2 - on tanks over 20 gal, I'd go with a pressurized system. You probably won't have to go over 4 WPG for anything... unless you wanted to literally watch your stem plants grow!!!

I'm definitely going for low light, the problem is that with a 90g I need at least three bulbs just to get me up to 1wpg and I'm not sure if I have room under my hood. 2 T12s would at least get me to 80w but I guess I should try to fit 3 T8s under there.

I had 3 T6s over my 54, no problem. It does take a little DIY, but it's doable quite easily.

I basically just wired the 3 endcaps to a balast and set them on the tank, then gutted an old 2-strip shop light, and used the top as a reflector. Easy-peasy!

I'm definitely going for low light, the problem is that with a 90g I need at least three bulbs just to get me up to 1wpg and I'm not sure if I have room under my hood. 2 T12s would at least get me to 80w but I guess I should try to fit 3 T8s under there.

Don't be fool by the wattage.

T8 generate more light and use less electricity than T12. T8 is definitely a better choice.