What is the best size for selling fry?

wandj

I have a couple of large batches of fry I plan on selling to Big Als. I am going to the city on June 6 (I live far away) so I was wondering if now is a good time to take my fish in or if I should wait till they are bigger. They are all about one inch, more or less. They were "spit" on April 12. Would I get more money if I waited until they were 1.5 inches or 2 inches? I don't go to Edmonton often, just wondering if I should hang onto them for one extra month. (Water quality is not a problem as they get fresh water 24/7, but they will end up being a bit crowded)

When I asked about selling fish to Big Al's I was told that they would prefer them atleast 2". Its usually best to call and ask before bringing them in.

The price they pay for them depends on what species they are and what size. So if they are small i'd think you would get paid less then what you'd get if they were big. But for african's you usually dont' get much $$ anyways so i dont' know if waiting till they are bigger would do much for increasing their value.

Call ahead and talk to them. They will tell you all the info you need.

well, in Richmond I know that the Big Al's is a bit tight for giving out good money for your fishes. I generally sell them at 25% of what the stores sell them for but I noticed that Big Al's give a lot less and also in credit. My suggestion is to shop around and see who will give what.

I'm not saying that Big Al's is a bad place, all I'm saying is that they tend not to offer a lot because they do get a lot of their fishes from their Florida farms. However, if they were hard to come by fishes, then perhaps you'd get more for them. So, shop around and ask questions. Grant it, Big Al's may take a lot of fishes at once whereas smaller stores may only take a dozen or so. Therefore it may take a while to move all your fry. Good luck

Good luck!

There are many more stores in Edmonton than Big Als, I'd suggest checking out the store locator thread, and calling all of them to get a price on those fish you want to sell. You might have more luck at a smaller, non-franchise store. Big Als being a franchise, has certain rules on pricing and things like that they follow. A smaller place might also have set rules for themselves, but will be more willing to break their own rules in ertain situations. Build up rapport with a small business, and they generally tend to take care of you.

-Hideo

Ok, aside from a couple of ppl here I am going to sell a few fry to now, I will wait until they start showing color before I take them in.

This is going to change my strategy quite a bit as I thought I could grow them in a 20gal and take them in when it got too crowded.

I think I am going to strip out my 300gal of some nasty fish so I can use it as a grow-out tank.

If I mix any in there, they will be species that will not breed together....like Lethrinops and Placidochromis, etc.

So tomorrow I plan on trying to catch a couple of Jack Dempseys, a couple of adult Venustus, and 6 Red Zebras.

(Oh yes, and another call to BA to make sure it's ok with them)

I will still have my big Redheaded Cichlid but it is too much to take on in one day.

Thanks everybody.