LFS does not want hobbyists

wandj

I don't live in a big city and have to make do with the little pet shop locally. I visit it a lot, about once a week or more, and usually after their new stock comes in. I have been going there about a year and am a regular visitor to the store. I have also spent a lot of money in there.

I am considering not going to that store anymore. I had some fish I wanted to clear out. Instead of hauling them all the way to the city, I phoned the local and asked if they would be interested. This store does not like to "buy" fish from anyone as they like the one-way plan....we sell, you buy and not the other way around. But there were a few occasions we made fish trades in the past. They said I could bring the fish in. I don't want to mention what I took in or what as there is always a chance someone who works there may read this post and figure out who I am, as I am not very happy with this situation and it would be awkward if they knew I posted this. Anyway, the owner mentioned giving me a credit and I said sure. I know they sold one big fish and got some good coin for it. I was in the store on 3 more occasions after I brought the fish in. The first time I asked if there was a "credit" for me. Staff did not know anything about it. This felt weird for me as I did not want to ask the owner over and over. The other 2 times nobody said anything to me. I think this store will make at least $85 off the fish I brought in, and I see that I might not get anything for them. (BTW, one of the predator fish in their tanks killed one of the ones I brought in and I felt very sad about that. It was better left with me).

I do not want to bring the topic up again to the owner. My feelings are that I do not want to support a store that is not willing to be fair to me in return. They could have just said no and I would have taken them somewhere else (albeit far away). Is it wrong for me to expect them to pony up some credit/cash? I did not take my fish to them so that they could make 100% profit and have me feeling like an idiot.

What would you do?

Do you agree that support should go both ways? I think I have already made a decision to give ALL my business solely to pet stores that are willing to buy my fish from me (wholesale is fine) just as I am willing to buy my fish from them. (And no, I do not sluff off culls or crap to anyone...these were fine fish I let go for nothing) I should also mention that I enjoy breeding fish and if there was no outlet for my fish to go, I would have to give up this hobby and that would not be good for business either right?

Thoughts? Comments?

This store does not like to "buy" fish from anyone as they like the one-way plan....we sell, you buy and not the other way around.

That is the way retail shops work, even pet shops.

Anyway, the owner mentioned giving me a credit and I said sure.

Which....Nikki or James?

I know they sold one big fish and got some good coin for it. I was in the store on 3 more occasions after I brought the fish in. The first time I asked if there was a "credit" for me. Staff did not know anything about it.

I am not surprised, they have had a lot of turn-over lately, and their staff doesn't often seem much on top of things.

This felt weird for me as I did not want to ask the owner over and over.

True, but likely they just forgot to mention it to the staff.

I think this store will make at least $85 off the fish I brought in, and I see that I might not get anything for them.

But to be fair, if you had to drive the fish all the way to Edmonton and return, that is a good 250km round trip....if you had received the wholesale prices (say $25-$30) from a shop in Ed, after your gasoline prices, how much would you have actually made anyways? I would imagine that any credit from the local shop would be better than that.

(BTW, one of the predator fish in their tanks killed one of the ones I brought in and I felt very sad about that. It was better left with me).

One of the reasons stores do not often like taking in fish...they just do not have the room for them. To be fair, pet shops do not tend to take in dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, etc either....

Is it wrong for me to expect them to pony up some credit/cash? I did not take my fish to them so that they could make 100% profit and have me feeling like an idiot.

That is what you will find at most shops, only a few give credit, and most shops that will take your fish really do not want them....and even with that many shops find themselves overwhelmed with big unwanted fish (some shops have even had fish dumped in their tanks without being asked).

What would you do?

Have a chat with one of the owners about the credit you were told to expect.

I think I have already made a decision to give ALL my business solely to pet stores that are willing to buy my fish from me (wholesale is fine) just as I am willing to buy my fish from them.

That works just fine with shops that you have that sort of an agreement with, but don't expect that those shops will always want your fish, either.

I should also mention that I enjoy breeding fish and if there was no outlet for my fish to go, I would have to give up this hobby and that would not be good for business either right?

Why is breeding your fish essential to your keeping fish? Why not sell your fry on sites like this one or in club auctions?

That is the way retail shops work, even pet shops.

Perhaps, but I've yet to have a store refuse any of my fish, especially when they could mark them up 100%, or more, and often times sell them within 48 hrs, or less. If a long term customer, who keeps & breeds quality specimens, is willing to supply a local pet store at a price that is fair to both parties, why would there be any issues? Usually the deal is store credit is 50% of sale value in store, cash is less. If that long term customer is also taking a store credit, and not cash, then obviously the store is certainly coming out ok in the deal, and at the same time keeping a long term customer just that, long term.

Seems like smart business to me.

Edited by RD.

Perhaps, but I've yet to have a store refuse any of my fish, especially when they could mark them up 100%, or more, and often times sell them within 48 hrs, or less.

Then I guess you haven't tried all the stores in Red Deer. ;)

I would talk to the owners. When I buy or trade fish with locals I ensure everyone understands the the dollar figure involved upfront. Did ask how much credit you would get? At $85ish dollars I would say a $25ish dollar credit would be appropriate.

I wouldn't be offended if a store won't buy from you. Perhaps they have already have a good supplier of what you have to offer. I know in my store I only buy from certain people (several on this board) and am selective on who they are. Kind of like quality control.

Perhaps, but I've yet to have a store refuse any of my fish, especially when they could mark them up 100%, or more, and often times sell them within 48 hrs, or less. If a long term customer, who keeps & breeds quality specimens, is willing to supply a local pet store at a price that is fair to both parties, why would there be any issues? Usually the deal is store credit is 50% of sale value in store, cash is less. If that long term customer is also taking a store credit, and not cash, then obviously the store is certainly coming out ok in the deal, and at the same time keeping a long term customer just that, long term.

Seems like smart business to me.

A batch of fry is one thing, unwanted adults are completely different. You may be able to turn over nice juvies quickly but usually adults will languish and need to be sold relatively cheaply. I don't really understand why people choose this, for most purposes buying an adult is a pretty good idea but that's the way it is.

You know it's possible that the only reason the owners took this fish was because you're a steady customer. It's nice that they managed to sell one quickly but I bet they went into it with the expectation that they wouldn't. They probably get people offering them unwanted adults several times a day as well.

Ask one the owners about the credit, you can be sure they forgot to tell somebody or whomever they told forgot about it in turn.

I guess I am foolish to think that I had some kind of "relationship" with this business. (And I have been going there for 2 years not 1)

I understand that stores have to get their stock from somewhere and I would not expect them to buy them from a hobbyist for $1 when they can bring them in from a FLA fish farm for .60 cents. And the fish would already be in local waters and due to the short travelling distance, would be much healthier. I have also "donated" a lot of my fish to stores as I know they are not very popular. For ex, I happily donated some Jack Demspseys to a store (not my LFS) and I understand they are a hard sell and I was ok with them not giving me anything for them. I am very understanding of the financial part of this, I just am struggling with the moral part of it.

Of course, a lot of stores just won't buy fish from hobbyists, like Petsmart, Walmart, etc so why would I give them my business when I can make deals with a store that will? My only snag is that I am from out of town.

I hate bringing up the store credit over and over to my LFS as I don't want to sound like a nag when they have expressed in the past that they "don't take fish", even though we've traded in the past. So I already feel like a begger.

Put it this way people: I enjoy my hobby. I enjoy watching little baby fish. I enjoy taking care of them. I enjoy bragging about them to anyone who will listen. I also enjoy having a happy, fun and friendly relationship with the stores I frequent.

There is one store in Edmonton that I have spent oodles of money in (I bought all my fish room supplies from them) and I visit them every time I am in the city. They make me feel WELCOME! They know my name! When I have brought up selling my fry, they are actually open to the idea and don't make me feel like I am a nuisance.

I can easily say that I spend 100 times more money on my fish than a parent who buys little Johnny a goldfish on his birthday.

I believe it is in a store's best interest to have good relations for hobbyists. First, it keeps that person buying from them. And second, it keeps them in the hobby altogether. Like I said, if I stop enjoying my hobby, it will be gone.

I think the most important thing for me is being able to walk into a store that appreciates my business and I would have the utmost respect for that store if they cared about the fish as much as I did. AKA, were hobbyists like me. What's wrong with two way streets?

I would even ask them what kind of fish they wanted supplied and I would buy those fish, hopefully breed them, and supply them back with juvies. Would not all be happy?

Buy a car from a dealership. If you felt that your purchase from them was not a positive experience and you felt like a wallet, would you go back? If you felt they wanted you back as a repeat customer and made you feel welcome, would you not return to them the next time you bought a vehicle?

I am working on establishing a "relationship" with a shop in Edmonton. I realize they appreciate loyalty as well as they would not want to compete with other fish stores that might end up with my fry. So I say, whoever wants to humour me, will earn my business for life.

As for someone mentioning selling to forums and such, I have and I do. I have had wonderful meeting with some of you here. However, don't forget I am from far away and one fellow in particular (who shall remain nameless) entered in a deal with me and I ended up sitting in a parking lot for over half an hour for nothing. And yes, it costs me $40 in gas to drive in to town. So it is pretty risky striking up deals with individuals and then getting stood up. (Gee, I hope the aforementioned person reads this and realizes what a jerk he was)

Above all, I want to have fun and love my hobby and feeling like Oliver Twist approaching stores is not fun for me. I can promise excellenet, healthy stock and I have even asked people I have sold to if they were happy with the fish. (YES)

And Chris brought up an excellent point to make sure dollar amounts were discussed upfront. Yes, I agree. And I thought it was in my case but I find it hard to talk about money more than once. :blush:

Edited by wandj

A batch of fry is one thing, unwanted adults are completely different. You may be able to turn over nice juvies quickly but usually adults will languish and need to be sold relatively cheaply.

I guess that would depend on the species. For the most part adult cichlids are not only a fairly easy sell here in town, they sell for what those of you in Calgary would consider outrageous amounts. I've seen adult African's (and not rare species either) sell for $60-80+. For those of you in the Edmonton area, I suspect those kind of prices would be the norm. :D

BTW - considering the OP's wishes, and also allowing this thread to remain a non 'vendor review', perhaps the owners names should be removed from Christian's comment.

I did not think it an issue since there is only the one shop in Drayton Valley (or for about 100km radius outside it), so it was pretty obvious as to whom was being mentioned.

However....as I suggested, and Aaron mentioned, it is likely that they simply forgot (and trust me, I know these people...they are in danger of forgetting to dress in the morning they are so busy) to mention it to the staff (and they have about 60% new staff, too). Just talk to them.

I hate bringing up the store credit over and over to my LFS as I don't want to sound like a nag when they have expressed in the past that they "don't take fish", even though we've traded in the past. So I already feel like a begger.

Okay so then how can you be upset? You are getting worked up over something that probably has been overlooked at worst. They never told you there wouldn't be a credit did they? If you expect something ask for it, Niki and James are nice people they will probably be embarrassed this was missed.

I can easily say that I spend 100 times more money on my fish than a parent who buys little Johnny a goldfish on his birthday.

This is a common justification when hobbyists get upset about something and it's bogus. You probably do spend 100x what that parent does but there are 500 of them for every one of you.

Above all, I want to have fun and love my hobby and feeling like Oliver Twist approaching stores is not fun for me. I can promise excellenet, healthy stock and I have even asked people I have sold to if they were happy with the fish. (YES)

And Chris brought up an excellent point to make sure dollar amounts were discussed upfront. Yes, I agree. And I thought it was in my case but I find it hard to talk about money more than once. :blush:

Sorry but just because you are to embarrassed to ask doesn't mean that they are treating you badly. Nobody is going to think less of you when you ask for something that was agreed on earlier.

----- Edit

Maybe that seems harsh, it's not meant to, I actually have this conversation with my g/f on a regular basis. We all feel dumb or wierd sometimes when we have to call somebody on a mistake but you will feel worse about it if you don't.

Edited by midgetwaiter

If you were offered a credit by one of the owners, you need to ask THAT person about it.

If you haven't done THAT yet, IMO you should have posted anything yet.