From the Garden to the Aquarium...

FishEdGirl

I have an empty, cycled, bare-bottom 5g tank that I'd like to plant before adding some endlers. I have one heck of a green thumb, so I figure I should be able to manage a planted tank - not to mention it feeds my gardeners soul!

Here's the deal:

I want to do low-light with no CO2. I have a big bag of Tahitian Moon Sand that I would like to use as the top layer of substrate.

What do all you plant experts suggest I use as the bottom layer? I'm partial to simple potting soil, but I've heard a lot of talk about Seachem's substrate (can't remember the name).

How soon after planting a tank do you wait to add fish?

The lighting ATM is a 10W bulb, but I've seen plant specific bulbs in Big Al's. Is it better to switch to that for low-light tanks?

What do you fertilize with and how often?

Any H2O parameter problems that I'll have to worry about?

Maintenence tips or tricks that I should know?

I love the Araceae family of plants, and want to do some Anubius 'marble' and 'nana' if I can get my hands on these. Some Cryptocoryne variants would be nice as well.

The tank is a 5g tall (if that's possible lol) acrylic with a Whisper mini internal filter and a 25W heater. I can't recall the exact footprint.

Any suggestions for plants that would work well?

TIA! :)

Sounds like you're off to a good start! If you're looking for a good substrate w/o hastle, then either of Seachem's substrates will work:

Flourite is a red/brick clay. Adding it to a full tank will cause it to cloud. Drain most/all of the water out, add the Flourite, then pour the water back in SLOWLY - put a plate on the substrate to spread the water out as you pour.

Onyx comes in either a sand or larger gravel. It's black - which is great for you! It does raise the pH a bit - probably .2-.4, but it's not a problem for you. The plants you're looking at will love it, and the Endler's like it, too!

Anubias does great attached to a rock or driftwood, placed in a spot where it's roots can reach into the substrate.

There are a few Crypts. that will be great for a small tank like yours - parva being ideal (wendtii group plants will work, too, but may grow a little too large for your tank).

Is the bulb you have an incandescent or flourescent? If it's incandescent, then you can keep it as is, or get one of the new screw-in compact flourescents. If it's a normal flourescent, you're fine.

That's about all you need. No special H2O conditions, fertilizing, etc. needed. Regular WCs will be great for your fish & plants - it's all you need! Happy planting!! :thumbs:

Thanks for the fantastic suggestions, jvision! :D

I really like the specs on Seachem's Onyx...but man, is it ever expensive!! $29.99 for a 7kg bag. Ouch! Can I add the Onyx to an existing tank or does the water need to be removed with this substrate as well? And should I do just the Onyx itself and forget the Moon sand?

May I pick your brain for a brief moment here?

I love the looks of the parva that you suggest. Would it do alright without C02 and in lower light situations? All the references I've checked say no...

The current bulb is a regular old incandescent but, upon your advice, I will switch to a 10W flourescent. :)

I really like Hemianthus Micranthemoides. Any comments on this one? Could I get away with it in low lighting?

Does Anubias have to be anchored on rock/driftwood or can it be planted directly in the substrate?

OK, that's it for the moment... ;)

Endlers and plants in a 5g? My only comment is: I hope not too many of either... Endlers should be kept with several females to the one male, and if so then within 6 weeks you'll have 20 Endlers... which is far too many for a 5 gallon... tall, short, squat, flat whatever shape it is.

As for when to add fish ( I think this is the only original concern J didn't cover) is 'immediately'. Fish poo... poo is fertilizer. Tada!

Also... you say the tank is cycled... does it have current inhabitants? or are you fishless cycling it?

Tanker,

The 5g is going to be a male endler tank, no females. I'm not interested in the breeding side of this hobby. The tank is fully cycled, and has been for about a year (maintained with weekly doses of ammonia). It was a QT tank that has been replaced by something bigger and better.

I plan on doing the overhaul this weekend. Still not 100% sure about the plants though...anyone else have any suggestions, or can answer my previous questions?

And of course I couldn't let this go without asking some more:

How often should one do a water change on an established, planted tank this size? I do bi-weekly changes on all of my tanks, including the 5g as it is now, but would this schedule deprive the plants of anything? Should substrate be vacuumed and/or is stirring necessary with Onyx?

I have added aeration on the 5g in the form of a 10cm bubble wand (like I said, former QT tank). Should this stay, or go, or does it even matter?

Thanks for the fantastic suggestions, jvision! :D

I really like the specs on Seachem's Onyx...but man, is it ever expensive!! $29.99 for a 7kg bag. Ouch! Can I add the Onyx to an existing tank or does the water need to be removed with this substrate as well? And should I do just the Onyx itself and forget the Moon sand?[/qiote]

My experience w. Onyx is limited, but if I recall, it does come washed, so it should be OK to add to any tank. There've been a few threads about changing/adding substrate on the forum in the past, maybe the people who've done the swap can chime in...

As far as using Onyx and Moon Sand, it's all preference.... doesn't really make a difference either way.

May I pick your brain for a brief moment here?

I love the looks of the parva that you suggest. Would it do alright without C02 and in lower light situations? All the references I've checked say no...

I actually don't know... I've never kept it in low light, no CO2; and, I don't have any right now. If you find some, you could try it. One thing with Crypts is that they typically melt when their surroundings change - this is not a bad thing (it's a mess to clean up, but...). As long as it has a healthy root base, it'll be back.

The current bulb is a regular old incandescent but, upon your advice, I will switch to a 10W flourescent. :)

I really like Hemianthus Micranthemoides. Any comments on this one? Could I get away with it in low lighting?

Does Anubias have to be anchored on rock/driftwood or can it be planted directly in the substrate?

H.m. can be a bit difficult w/o CO2 and light, but it can be done. Keep it in the brightest spot (tho in a 5 gal, it's all going to be pretty even) and keep it clean.

Anubias can be planted anywhere, literally - I've seen it planted in the back of someone's HOB filter! The main thing is to not burry the rhisome (stem).

Happy planting! :D