Gymnothorax tile

dunl

Really cool :thumbs: . How big is he?

I'm guessing he's about 2 feet long...maybe a bit more now?

If I didn't have small kids, it'd be a blast to raise mollies and drop them in the tank for him. Cocktail shrimp go straight down.

Rudy - you gotta get yourself an eel sometime. Very cool indeed.

You seem to have yours in a marine environment, but from the information on them I found on them when I had mine they were supposed to be fresh / light brackish. Could this be why mine only lasted three weeks and would not eat anything? He was an amazing creature and I would love another but I cannot find any good information on them.

Two things were probably wrong, but I'm just guessing here:

1. As an adult, they spend their life in full saltwater from what I have read, and that's not a lot. You're right about not finding any good info on them - there really isn't that much online. So that may have had something to do with it.

2. Was it eating really well? Many people find that these will not eat for them, and they end up starving to death. Usually this is because the eel doesn't feel safe. I lucked out on this one, as I ended up putting him in a tank with heavy rockwork. By heavy, I mean impossible to catch him if I tried without taking out the rocks. If you look at the bottom back corner of the tank, that is a 40-50lb solid limestone rock that he lives under, plus all the other live rock you see. Even with all that cover, he doesn't come out a lot or very far to check things out.

If they have rockwork like this, they usually eat no problem. If they don't, they will starve themselves due to stress.

Two things were probably wrong, but I'm just guessing here:

1. As an adult, they spend their life in full saltwater from what I have read, and that's not a lot. You're right about not finding any good info on them - there really isn't that much online. So that may have had something to do with it.

2. Was it eating really well? Many people find that these will not eat for them, and they end up starving to death. Usually this is because the eel doesn't feel safe. I lucked out on this one, as I ended up putting him in a tank with heavy rockwork. By heavy, I mean impossible to catch him if I tried without taking out the rocks. If you look at the bottom back corner of the tank, that is a 40-50lb solid limestone rock that he lives under, plus all the other live rock you see. Even with all that cover, he doesn't come out a lot or very far to check things out.

If they have rockwork like this, they usually eat no problem. If they don't, they will starve themselves due to stress.

He would not eat at all in my tank. I added a few chunks of driftwood and rearranged my rockwork around them to create caves. I also added a piece of 2" PVC pipe to see if he would like it but nothing worked. I tried to feed thawed shrimp. live dew worms, squid, etc. but to no avail. He was about 18" and was in a 55 gallon tank, 36 X 18 footprint. Maybe I needed a bigger tank for him. Thanks for the input and maybe I will try again if I can find another.

Well, I have a pretty busy tank, and when I dropped him in, I fed everything right away, including him. Lots of cover and immediate food that everyone was going after, seemed to work for him.

• 4 weeks later...