Angels

Raven

my dads girlfriend has a 55g corner tank. amoung its mates are 5 angels, id say fairly young cause they are that big. one died today while i wasat work, and now im noticing a fuzz on the fins on some of the others. i was wondering what i could do for them. prehaps teaching christy to do water changes would be best, lol, and maybe adding some salt?

two more died today. so theres 3 left. i tested her water levels and found the nirtrates to be a tad high, and her alkalinity and ph are low, what do angels like for water levels? Dad thinks changing the carbon filters would raise the ph, but im not to sure. I need some info before more for christys angels die off.

This is what I have about Angelfish:

Ideal Water Quality

Soft (0.6 to 1.2 dH), slightly acid (pH 6.5 to 6.9), successful breedings have occurred in pH 6.8.

Live plants should be included in all freshwater tanks. Water quality is monitored by live plants as they will look sickly before the fish die, they aid in keeping water clear, hinder growth of algae and add Oxygen to the water.

Hunger Strike

Loss of appetite and eventual refusal to eat should not be a problem in a well maintained tank. As long as regular partial water changes are made and the general guidelines for cleanliness are followed, this should never happen to you.

In case you notice your angelfish going "off their feed", bribe them with live brine shrimp, live guppy fry or any other clean live food. In no time they will be eating again.

Here is a link to a file of Here is a link to the Nutrafin Aquatic News Vol. 3 Angelfish Magazine

I hope that this information helps with the problem. I'm not very experienced with angelfish all of my knowledge is just fresh research as I have only been taking care of my mom's for her since she bought them about 3 weeks ago. But the information I posted is what I have read. I have a copy of the magazine that I posted a link to the electronic version and I refer to it for my general information on Tank and Species information.

Please keep us updated on the status of these angels.

Edited by Spinalcore

Angel fish prefer soft acidic water but I keep mine in hard alkaline water will no problems. Fiddling with PH is not something I am comfortable doing and it can cause serious damage.

It sounds to me like the tank is not being cleaned enough. They do need clean water just like every other fish. Also if ther eare fish in the tank that could be ripping at fins you'll want to get them out. The nice thing about angel fish is that they are tough and they can recover from damage nicely. But I'd get on to those water changes, at least 20% a week with water slightly colder than tank temperature, this simulates rainfall.

In my experiance, unless an angel is being bullied, they are the last fish in a tank to get sick. At least that has always been the case in my tanks.

The first action - test the water.

What are the Nitrate / pH numbers[??].

sounds like the water may be "dirty"; High levels of NO3's; possible NO2's[??].

A W/C sounds necessary. Start with 10%. Retest, another, larger W/C may be required.

Water changes are so important . :wub:

Clean filters. Foams full of waste, compete with the bio-bacteria, not healthy.

Causes of stress / death:

1 - Physical_ fighting, ect.

2 - Environmental_water quality.

3 - Disease_the result of 1 & 2.

"An ignored tank is a dead tank". :(

HTH

Smokey

well, i came home and found out the rest of her angels died. i was told they had changed the filters to topfins filter cartrages. i tested the water,the levels are a bit high still. the nitrates arearound 80, nitritesat .5, waters very hard, alkalinity over 180, and the ph between 7.2and 7.8. the levels in my tanks are probably a lot worse then hers, lol, nitrates are always crazy. but i dont see why her angels died unless what ever was on there fins was the magor cause.

they only change on of the filters... theres 2 of them in there, because the one wasnt working properly and had water flowing over it. so the bateria is still growing it the first one.