Filstar XP4

canucklehead

I don't see it competing with the XP5 at all, 450 GPH vs 925GPH is no comparison at all. I notice on the XP4 you still have to fill the canister all the way as opposed to the XP5 where you fill about 1/4 of the canister, seal it up and the filter does the rest. IMO the XP4 is just a stretched out XP3. I would say it's about a 25% improvement on a Fluval 404 or XP3. Just my humble opinion, can you tell I like the FX5......

I don't see it competing with the XP5 at all, 450 GPH vs 925GPH is no comparison at all. I notice on the XP4 you still have to fill the canister all the way as opposed to the XP5 where you fill about 1/4 of the canister, seal it up and the filter does the rest. IMO the XP4 is just a stretched out XP3. I would say it's about a 25% improvement on a Fluval 404 or XP3. Just my humble opinion, can you tell I like the FX5......

Let me ask you about FX5s, I just hooked mine up and I do not understand all of the hype. This is much lounder than the XP3 or any of the eheims that I own, is this normal? The flow rate full of media is good, but nothig astronomical. I would have trouble see this filter keep up to anything over 120 gallons by itself. It is built very well and the self primer appears to work well, but I just can't see this filter doing the trick on a 230 gallon tank.

Any idea on how to improve the noise and the slower flow?

KEvin

I don't know why yours is so noisy as the one I have running in my store is extremely quiet. The only way you can tell it is running is by the movement in the return line and the water. All the customers that have purchased them from me are quite happy with them. Perhaps you have to much media in the filter itself or a kink in a hose line

I would have no problem running one on a 230 gallon tank but probably not much larger.

Thank you for your feedback all, I will play with is a little more when I get home after the weekend. The filter is sitting on concrete right now and I would compare the vibration noise (not air noise) to a jacuzzi tub pump.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

I tend towards overkill. I have two XP3's on my 90Gal, I perfer to move more water than not enough, I know one should do the trick but I was just not totally happy with the volume of water it moved.

I still think these units are far supirior to the Fluval line, minus the "new" one that is massive. I hear it is quite good, I think Rena should have done a general design review instead of just making an XP4 IMHO. Not that there is alot to improve on but still I do have some suggestions that would have been easy to incorporate in a new model.

Edited by uwish

The Fluval '04-'05 line has never been my fave, but the FX5 is incredible....beats everything but an Eheim. The XPs certainly beat the lower-end Fluvals, but are far from perfect....redesign them to force the water through the media and put the pump on the bottom (like the FX5), and they would be pretty spiffy.