Livebearer Enthusiasts

Melody

I keep a couple species livebearers. I have a bunch of endlers(thanks to Tanker), 1 generic platy, some lyretail black mollies, and not sure if this is what you are looking for but I also have a Anableps(found out that they are livebearers).

I really like the lyretail black mollies. I'd never kept mollies and wasn't sure about getting a "boring all black fish" but they are very beautiful and elegant. I'm thinking of maybe getting a couple more.

I keep a couple species livebearers. I have a bunch of endlers(thanks to Tanker), 1 generic platy, some lyretail black mollies, and not sure if this is what you are looking for but I also have a Anableps(found out that they are livebearers).

I really like the lyretail black mollies. I'd never kept mollies and wasn't sure about getting a "boring all black fish" but they are very beautiful and elegant. I'm thinking of maybe getting a couple more.

Mollies were another first love - definitly one of the personality Livebearers. Lyretail Sailfins were my fave. I got out of them as I'm getting wild-type Mollies in and didn't want crosses.

I love the look of a planted tank with Black & Silver (white) Sailfin Lyres. If the tank is an aquascaping showcase, it shows off every plant beautifully without distracting the eye like the more brightly colored fish can do... or worse - they clash (GASP!)

Limias are closely related to Mollies and so far I find their personalities to be similar. The Nigrofasciata are like inquisitive children - afraid but can't resist trying to see what you're doing....lol. If you like Mollies, you'd probably enjoy Limias too.

I've never tried the Anableps - I don't have space for something that aggressive. I have a friend (Bill Allen, you've probably seen his articles in the various magazines) who breeds the Anableps. I have him off catching fish for my next border run actually...lol....very nice guy. If you ever have questions I'd be happy to put you in touch with him. :)

Another writer friend of mine breeds Hifin Platy's that you would not believe. I can't wait to get some of those babies in. Here is a pic that he sent me of his 'Rubynose' Hifin:

DM-HFRubyNosePlaty-Ed.jpg

The inspiring part about this breeder is two-fold. First, he doesn't have a big elaborate fishroom - very few tanks, yet he develops these amazing strains. That's the second thing - the Hifins of eons ago often looked like the above fish in regards to finnage.... I think the first was bred by Livebearer legend Dr. Joanne Norton. However, Darrell couldn't get any of those so he bred them out himself using store fish! Truly a talented breeder.

Dr. Norton is my fishie Hero, God rest her soul.

:) I wish I could have met her.