Livebearer Enthusiasts

Melody

I don't see a whole lot of community tank people here... or you just don't talk about them...lol.

I've been addicted to Livebearers since day one (not sayin' when that was :blush: ). The genetics of the fancy/commercial strains fascinates me and the amazing array of wild-type species intrigues me. The number of threatened species concerns me greatly, adding to my interest in them. I drool over Aqualog's All Livebearers and Halfbeaks and wish it was a catalogue that I could order from.

I've been lucky enough to own some uncommon varieties. Some I still have, some I passed on to fantastic fish-keepers to ensure their distribution and I'll be honest, some I promptly killed :( . Among those who reside or have passed through are: Limia Tridens, Limia Vitatta, Limia Nigrofasciata, Limia Perugiae, B. Holdridgei, H. Furmosa, Xenotoca eiseni, Characodon lateralis, Xenophorus captivus (Jesus Maria), Ilyodon Furcidons, Ilyodon lennoni, Ameca splendens, Rusty Liberty Molly, P. Salvatoris, Gambusia holbrooki, X. nezahuacoyotl... I think there's a couple more but that's it off the top of my head.

The commercial strains I currently focus on are Albino Swordtails in various forms, Lyretail Swordtails, Hifin Swordtails and Plumetail Platy's (Reg. & Hifin). I have a bunch of Guppies (every respectable livebearer breeder does you know), all bred from beautiful breeder/show strains which I mixed up for the genetic aspect (their breeders would probably kill me if they knew that). My focus there will eventually be Albino forms as well.

To say I'm serious about Livebearers is an understatement, and I think they're often dismissed from the hoity-toity breeder circles. :P

Anyways, I'd love to hear from other Livebearer enthusiasts, regardless of what you breed. :D

Live bearing toothcarps have allways had a special place in my aquarium, it is what most of us start with when we get into the hobby.

I have allways marvelled at the adaptability of Mollies, which can instantly adapt from fresh to marine conditions intantly.

The Guppies whos color patterns are endless. The Swords for their lively action combined with brilliant colors.

This group, primarily being brackish, Are one of the most adaptable fish in the hobby.

So many of them live where overflow can periodically raise salinity or wash them out into marine conditions that they never would have survived if they weren't so adaptable. Ironically, when they should have been a group that had the greatest chance of adapting to our changing planet, humans have killed them off or are working hard at doing so.

My Son and I have done presentations at his school year after year and in a few other schools, bringing in the threatened species. He does the talking for the most part, chit-chat about our breeding endeavors and why breeding these fish is so important. I hope that seeing a fish that they may have never had the chance to see were it not for captive breeding programs, will impact and influence them if they become undustrial tycoons, or even politicians. There's a zillion fishy things at the dollar store for prizes, I design book marks and info pages and of course, there's goldfish crackers for everyone - its fun. I thought he would be too old for it this year - 12 is that age when a guy is trying to appear very cool after all, so I didn't push it. He asked to take them in though because his Teacher is well travelled and they were talking about it. :D

I am not a huge livebearer fancier, .

I'll try not to hold that against you. :P

but have had a fair few in my time..Xenotoca, Zogoneticus, Amecas, etc.....endlers, too

Cool! I have hardly found any wild-types in Canada - I had to join the American Livebearer Association.

(we have at least 3 original/natural strains here in Alberta, and I believe my friend Jim has 3-4 on his own).

Oooo which ones?

(we have at least 3 original/natural strains here in Alberta, and I believe my friend Jim has 3-4 on his own).

Oooo which ones?

Umm...dunno....the 'nike' one, not sure about the others (see previous 'not a huge livebearer fancier' comment)....most of my interaction with livebearers is seeing them disappear into the mouths of predators. -roll-

As long as your heart wins sometimes, there's still hope...lol...alright seriously, I have no problem with feeding fish to fish - its gotta be done, I just don't care to watch it. I figure its kinda hypocritical to say that I have a problem with nice fishies being fed to animals while I think nothing of producing wormies & shrimp for the purpose. Just because its not cute doesn't make it any less alive after all. ;)

Alright, I have to complain - is it just me or does that winky smiley look like a cross between someone in pain and someone having a bowel movement?

Edited by Melody

As long as your heart wins sometimes, there's still hope...lol...alright seriously, I have no problem with feeding fish to fish - its gotta be done, I just don't care to watch it.

Well, to be fair, its just ugly guppies and mollies that get et, not nice or uncommon livebearers. And yes, that smiley has bothered me for a while....just a lousy winky smiley.

As long as your heart wins sometimes, there's still hope...lol...alright seriously, I have no problem with feeding fish to fish - its gotta be done, I just don't care to watch it.

Well, to be fair, its just ugly guppies and mollies that get et, not nice or uncommon livebearers. And yes, that smiley has bothered me for a while....just a lousy winky smiley.

I'd much rather see Livebearer fry culled to food status than simply destroyed. Then there are those who raise them inhumanely rather than get rid of any because they're too kind to do so - a catch 22. I suppose one of the reasons they're so prolific is because they ARE food in the wild, and who am I to argue with Mother Nature? :D