Size of Aquarium

Ryan

WHat size of aquarium does eveyone use to breed their discus. I mean on the larger scale 5 pairs and up. Sure you can breed them in the community tank but i have seen pairs in what looked like 25 gallon tanks. What size do you use for grow out?

I am thinking of putting the tank so the width is out 18 inches wide 16 inches high and 24 inches deep. Should give me a gallonage of 29.9 gallons. Right in the middle. Just thinking not realy motivated to do it but i would like to start up some pairs just to try my luck not to realy get seriouse.

No you can't really breed them in a community tank!! They will lay eggs in one though but usually eat the eggs as they don't like to have other Discus around. I have bred in 20 up to 50 gallon tanks. Andy is right on the money 29 is most commonly used. The best thing to do is keep 6 to 8 together and see who lays eggs then take the eggs out to see if they are fertilized or not. Then move the pair to there own tank. And yes I have seen LESBO discus!!!!!! :beer: