calculating gph

captinstabbin

Flow is usually rated right at the pump, so once you run it through a hose, or any restriction at all, it will drop. Elevation is also a wicked killer (called 'head' tee hee).

So I guess the big question here is 'was the bucket level with the canister and was it running through any length of hose?'

The hose is probably the culprit, to some extent, then. One other thing I forgot was media... the can was probably rated with it being completely empty of all media and baskets.

So with the canister drawing water from a level supply, without hose on the intake or the exhaust, and without anything in the can itself, you'll probably see closer to or maybe just over 300. I doubt you would hit the posted 320, tho, as it seems nothing ever really does put out 100% of it's claim... if it really pumped 320, the would say "up to 350" then. ;)

One other thing is the timing method... if for example it was closer to 12 seconds to fill you would have had a number of 300 gph, quite a bit closer, and with three feet of hose on there, then hey.... you're doing good, right? The best way to tell is to gather a larger sample... try and see how long it takes you to pump 20 gallons. At 320gph it should be about 3:45. 4 minutes is 300 gph and another 15 seconds is about 280.