Hair Algae

FishBrain

OK I have a 33G with a hair algae outbreak and it is only getting worse. Seems the more I pull out the more I find growing. Water changes everyweek and not helping at all, I understand it is prob due to an abundance of nutrients, and man are the corals and mushrooms loving it, but without using chemicals what livestock can I get to get rid of it? By eating or other means?

Big mexican turbos as well, if you dont mind minor redecoration

Where'd your rock/sand come from?

Feed less as finaddict said, and flake foods are usually horrible for defiling clean water

Definitely, snails are king. Both of my reef tanks had big algae problems, since they were both new tanks I cured the rock in the tanks before I added livestock so lots of nutrients and lots of algae. The snails I bought cleared it out in a matter of a couple of days. What really amazed me though is the plants and corals that were on the live rock seemed totally unaffected by the snails.

If you have live sand with algae growing on the surface of it, I would suggest a sand sifting star. Not only nice to look at, but it keeps the sand stirred up and eats the algae and detritus.

feed less--I only feed once a day, and ONLY NLS, no flake

big snails-- yes I do mind redecoration and the lobster does that himself

Lawnmower Blenny---Would the reef lobster eat it? and where could I find one

Sea Hair--Heard they are real hard to keep!

Rock MAINly from Golds and sand was from a Canreefer who was shutting down a tank

All Algae is on the rockwork

Gold's usually has blenny's. I was told that getting one for my 54g would be a waste, as it would starve. Ended up being the biggest pig in the tank, packing away any food I put in there, plus as much algae as it could find.

Albert (at Golds) sold me a container of ROWAphos. Helps somewhat but won't kill what you already have. I took a tube cleaning brush and turn it over and over the hair algae to remove what I had already. Used the ROWA and bought some snails. Seems to be controlled now.

Looks like this....

http://www.rowausa.com/rowaphos_tips.html

Another product I would like to try but haven't yet is Kent Marine Phosphate Sponge.

http://www.kentmarine.com/saltwater/ps2.html

Edited by TheGr8Blade

Tested your WC water for PO4? Nitrates arent high in the tank?

If not the incoming water or food, perhaps leaching out of the rock (wouldnt just be growing out of the older rock would it?), or more likely the sand into the water column. Although so many things can contribute.

Maybe try some rowaphos or other media as a last resort, just start VERY slowly with the rowa.

Thanks for the Ideas, would like to try livestock first as he would have lots to eat.

Thinking about a blenny first.

Everything will be going into the 90 once it is up and running, and by the way things are looking it shouldn't be to much longer!!

I dont have a test kit for PO4...YET. and no nitrates are not high, between 5-10.

SO I go away for the weekend and dont have anyone to feed the fishies and come back to about 15% of the algae gone!! Definatly noticeable difference and everything else seems to be doing good. I am going to only feed every 3-4 days and see what happens over the next few weeks.

I would love a tang but I dont really have a set date as to when the 90 is going to be set up. lots of money that I dont really have yet!

OH He is sooooooo cute. All I can hear in here right now is "look at his long nose" (Daughters) He is very small...I have to say the smallest one I have ever seen. about the size of a 1L bottle cap. (those are the larger caps than the 2L) Very cool.

He was in the car with me most the day and I am now slowly aclimating him now.