My new baby brigs

lilwolfe

Well here are some pics of my new snails. The pictures don't quite do their coloring justice. Their coloring is really much more vibrant through the naked eye. Thought I would like to share them with you all. And if anyone is interested....I may be willing to part with a few.......it's not like I have a shortage or anything <rolls eyes> (really.....if you look at my gravel....it seems to crawl....there are so many lil babies there).

Wholebowlfull.jpg

Blueboy.jpg

Purplegrape.jpg

Rainbowbabies.jpg

So let me know.....I am willing to ship to either calgary or edmonton...I have shipped previous batches to melody in surrey BC so ....shipping isn't a problem.

Thanks.....I love them. Every last little snail. Which I only have like 300 of. <shakes head>

Because they are just getting big enough for shipping (large pea size), I only have limited quantities that I will be putting up for sale. But I can tell you right now. There will be lots more in the near near future. So if you miss this lot....don't worry, there will be more.

Ms. Lilwolfe produces beautiful snails. I have brought them in from well over a dozen breeders across the US & Canada, so it takes a lot to impress me.... then again, I think she got her pink/purple breeders from me so I SHOULD be impressed...lol. She has also been a great pleasure to deal with and is always reliable.

Once your stock is up, keep me up on the colors you have available so I can refer Albertans to you or hand over the forum advertising for those colors. You're so much closer that they'll save a mint in shipping, and this is an Alberta forum so you're entitled to the market here, in my opinion. There's always my wierdo species anyway...lol. I enjoy working with several breeders across Canada, and its far more fun than competing.

You'll definitly have to pick up some heatpacks and then you're good to go. If you can't find them there, I have a contact in Saskatchewan.

Best of luck with your sales. I've had nothing but wonderful dealings with the members of this forum and I wish you the same :) .

Look at that purple!!!

I don't know why but I love snails!

Fins them fascinationg!

Just bought a peru giant snail, and I love him. Any snail tips?

What's not to love? :D Tell me about this Peru Snail of yours, if you would please. Species? Aquatic? I'm curious :) . Terrestrials I'm a total novice at other than what I've read, but that will soon change. I can help you with aquatic snails though.

Edited by Melody

not much too tell about him other than he is huge!

Defintely bigger than an apple snail. Looks similar to that though. His shell is about the size of my palm.

I will try to get pic of him soon. It is the only thing that in the tank my son looks for and asks me where he is if he can't see him. Loves his cuc though :heart:

He is aquatic, though goes for those breathes of air, like all snail do...

I will see if I can google him to get some more info for you.

Edited by Earthgirl

sounds like it might be p.canaliculata

Yup, that's the only one in captivity that gets that large in aquatics, although I'd prefer to see a pic before confirming it. They're renaming them all sorts of things to avoid legal issues. They're perfectly legal in Canada and not a threat to our environment due to our climate, but they're banned in the US and other Countries. Voracious plant eaters that reach about the size of a baseball. The frequently used common name is 'Cana' and they are an Applesnail species. There are striped, brown and gold varieties, as well as a few with a dark moss green tinge.

Don't let them breed unless you have a lot of tank space and a store who is willing to take them. Its much more difficult to move the plant-eaters in my experience, but I then I refuse to leave that information out so I suppose I ruin my own sales that way....lol. I can't imagine one of those beautiful planted tanks being mowed by a snail I sold. They are a great novelty for size alone, and are considered by their owners to be more of a 'pet' than other snails. The puppyish eyes somewhat endearing on their own..lol.

If he's reached that size, you must be doing a fine job already :D . The only tips are the usual ones for snails - high calcium diet for a healthy shell and clean water with no metals. I think all of Alberta enjoys hard water so environmental calcium shouldn't be an issue unless you're having shell problems. Remember to allow a good 2G's of tank stocking space for them as they're somewhat messy creatures. Others recommend even more space. You should have him for 2+ years. Lots of info at Applesnail.net and they have a well-run forum as well.

I just brought in a few Gold Canas to try out, but I've kept their more recently discovered 'Salton Sea Applesnail' cousins for a year or so. I also have another more rarely seen cousin, P. Haustrum, which I have to get a Classified up for, come to think of it. They lay green eggs :shock: . Both stay considerably smaller than Cana's but are larger than Brig's. I've avoided Cana's because they're common and plant eaters are hard enough to move when they're rare. However, they're getting more uncommon now that the States has started to enforce their ban and I wanted to try them for my own pleasure if nothing else.

Thanks for telling us more about him, he sounds wonderful. I'll look forward to the pic's :) .