Fluval 403 problems...

thefishdude

Hey,

Just bought a fluval 403 for a little extra GPH flow in my 90. However I can't seem to get the thing running properly....

Here's where I need a little help.

After looking over the manual online, I thought that I had everything set up properly. To test it out I put a 2 pails on my kitchen counter with the cannister on the floor. The intake is going to a full bucket of water and the output is going to the empty pail (duh!)

I then made sure that the unit was filled with water (ie. sucked air from the exhaust hose until the syphon filled the cannister) The exhaust tube would then fill up if it was below the level of the water in the full bucket (syphon effect). At this point I plugged the unit in to the wall. I can hear the impeller going inside, but the exhaust tube would not spit water into the bucket on the counter.....

ANYONE OUT THERE WITH EXPERIECE :well:

Is this airlock???

I tipped the unit onto its side and tried to make sure all the air was out....

A new impeller AND shaft may help.

Maybe try to walk through the trouble shooting on the onle website.

Those older Fluval a notorius for leaking as well!!! I hope you did not pay too much for it...

PS: I do still have a Rena Filstar XP1 for sale if you know anyone that's intersted

http://s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica...p?showtopic=929

Don't just change the impeller....the shaft is also VERY important to change. It may help to flow...again go through the trouble shooting first!!!!!

The rattling sound seems to me that here is still air in the head of the canister. Try tipping the can at ~45* while plugged (full of water of course) in and it should start pushing water. When it does, slowly upright and "smak" the side of the can to burp out bubble trapped at the head and in the foam block.

If the output is quite low, a new impeller and shaft may help if the shaft is worn or the imoeller has lost some of it's magnetism. If it doesn't work, the windings in the head is slowly failing.

HTH

Wilson

Just bought and installed a new impeller and impeller well cover...

WORKS GREAT!!!

GPH is really good now. Like having an extra garden hose running into the tank. Definately a must when caring for messy oscars. <_< (no offence my pretties)

I can't believe how quiet the thing is too. Quieter than the AC500 I have in the tank as a secondary.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: