Shrimp ID needed

gobies et al

I was given this shrimp recently and would like to ID if possible. Originally it was a contaminant with a batch of Cherry shrimp purchased from Big Al's last July. At that time it was about the size and appearance of a Ghost shrimp. It is now 9-10 cm long and is definitely Macrobrachium sp. but which. It is still growing rapidly. Please let me know if you have any information on this species.

Thanks.

post-3205-1255802916_thumb.jpg

post-3205-1255802946_thumb.jpg

Edited by gobies et al

I think this guy is too big already to be a Red Claw. I really hope it isn't a Macrobrachium rosenbergii as they can get so large.

Your thread was very informative Val, thanks!

Thanks for the information on the Rusty/Red Claw, Iceturf.

I've also asked on another forum but I could still use all the help I can get.

He/she has been identified on another forum.

This prawn belongs to the M. rosenbergii species group. According to the life coloration it´s either a juvenile M. malcolmsonii or a juvenile M. rosenbergii (sensu strictu, not the prawn cultured for human consumption).

@Gobies et. al: Be aware, the prawn will grow up to about double length next 3 months. Should be placed in a large tank.

That is quite the contaminant for a Cherry Shrimp shipment. These shrimp get up to 20 cm.

Thanks everybody!