Scraping Fish

Fishnut

I'm not sure if I have a problem or not. I have two aquariums in which I have noticed the fish scrape themselves against rocks or shells in the aquarium. One is a cichlid tank and all the cichlids in it are doing it and the other is a community and I have noticed the clown loaches doing it. I don't see anything visibly wrong with the fish and their behavior is otherwise normal. Does anyone have any advise? I have moved plant and rock between the two.

Could be reacting to ammonia (ammonium in the cichlid tank)... when was the last WC? Might want to check the levels. A big WC using Prime to treat new water wouldn't be a bad idea.

I was keeping up on regular maintenance on my tank with water change's and checking levels and everything was fine but my fish were still scraping themselves a little before the ich showed up. It showed up, about a week and a half after really noticing the fish scrape themselves. I'd keep an eye on it.

Edited by maniac

Ich is almost always an opportunistic parasite, meaning it doesn't just show up. It attacks when the fish's immune system is week. Doing filter maintenance every week is not really a good idea, as it can disturb your bioligical media - at the very least, don't rinse out the sponge (or ceramic rings, whatever you're using).

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been 12 days at 86 degrees and I did have a minor ick outbreack but have seen no sign in about 3 or 4 days. The fish are still scraping on a shell in the aquarium. I have noticed the clown loaches and a couple of the barbs. Any more suggestions?

Give it a little more time. It will take another couple of weeks to rid the tank of symptoms. The ich isn't visible because it's been forced into another developmental stage by the raised temperature. With luck, you'll be able to kill off most of it.

Lifebearer from AP is a great product. I use it for an extra 3 days than stated on the instructions. The reason is because the meds take longer to penetrate the cyst's membranes and the concentration to be a bit lower in the substrate. I find this to be the same for any meds such as malachite green. I have had great sucess by doing so.

I use it for an extra 3 days than stated on the instructions. The reason is because the meds take longer to penetrate the cyst's membranes and the concentration to be a bit lower in the substrate. I find this to be the same for any meds such as malachite green. I have had great sucess by doing so.

Ich- That's cool and great info thanks, but as cowardice as this may sound, I professionally must refrain from providing information on exceeding the prescibed use of medication instructions, thanks for helping to balance this out for me and feel free to do so anytime.

Will

Edited by Willfishguy