How many of Your fish are pets???

Oxquo

I am curious to see how many fish in Your fishroom that You consider untouchables. I was going through My fish tanks yesterday writing stuff down and found that a vast majotity of My critters are totally for sale, generally You can tell this by not even knowing how many there were. Of My fishroom I would say that these fish are My only keepers.

Cory sterbai 2M 4F

Sturisoma Aureum 1 Male love this guy!!

Dovii not sure why.

Red devil cause he's crazy.

Syno multis 6

S.Fryeri 1 male, the other 6 are totally gone at will, but may hold cuckoo cats one day.

All My killi parents.

That leaves a tonne of excess stuff that just lives in My tanks and doesn't pay rent.

My plants are just as bad

I have riccia flutans

Apon crispus

E osirus

The rest I don't care about so much even the 300 Crypt brown wendtii that are still making young for no apparent reason.

The true question is, where did this stuff come from? I mean how does one collect fish for no reason? Now they are having fry, great!!! More Ps Saulosi and Lab Perlmutt.

Oh, yeah okay I guess I realised why My dovii was irreplaceable after all.

I definately have fish that I consider pets more then the rest and are my favorites. Usually its a fish that has a good personality, or one that I have wanted for a long time or even just one I"ve grown attached to over time.

It seems most of my tanks center around my "pet fish" and then the rest of the fish in the tank are just filler(like a school if tetras, etc.)

Filler, hahaha I like that term. What I am wondering is why I have some tanks that only contain filler. I guess though it's pretty hard to name all the fish in a school of cardinals. I agree totally with having personable fish stand out though. Everyone loves My sturisoma he and the Iceberg Ahli stand out in a crowd but they have no personality compared to My red devil and Notho taeniopygus male. The only reason I mentioned all this is I sold a pair of angels that I've had for 5 years yesterday and raised since fry yet I have no attachment to them. How can one have fish for 5 years and not miss them? Why did I keep them for 5 years? No money could buy My notho male he is too cool yet dull in color. No one who comes over even looks at him twice. I am going to retire him in a 33 gallon soon with My best plants. It just seems weird how we treasure somethings and not that we don't care for the others but they are just, filler as You said. When My Geophagus Oxquo died, I was floored, took the day off work and dug him a deep grave with a post hole auger so he wouldn't get dug up. made a little pine box for him with a cedar lid so bugs would stay away from him and planted him with a marker. Some other fish die and I really care less.

Interesting topic...

I will always consider my fish to be my pets as going up we couldn't get a dog with my brother's allergies.

I think I would be devastated if something were to happen with my Saulosi group. It took me over a year to find a small group and now that I am a year into them and the group is growing, I wouldn't give them up for the world.

now...

there are other fish I have in my other tank that I would also consider fillers. I'm using this tank as a grow out but the it also has a few fish that that I have had longer than my Saulosi. A perfect example would be my afra's that are now starting to die off (there is no real reason as to why my group has died off, but they are). I am left to only a single female out of this group and I can honestly say that I'm not missing them.

Sure I enjoyed the color they added to the tank, but now I'm more looking forward to getting a group of Polit's to replace them.

Can you imagine if had the same attitude with another type of pet such as dogs or cats...

Are they different just because we have a vet we can take them too when sick?

Limited by law as to how many we can keep in a house hold?

nev

Edited by nevchewy

I think dogs and cats are the same some times. We all have our favorite dogs growing up, that is not to say though that we don't care if they die or not. There were a few occassions I wished I never had My Boston Terrier, I never wished death on him though and when he is good, he seems so much better than good dogs I have had that were good.

Back to fish. It is quite common we will load up a planted tank with "Filler" we only want a little flash and pizzaz. Imagine what a large red Devil or umbee could do to a planted tank? Maybe we buy these fish as just disposables from the start, knowing that should we ever need the tank space for a cool impulse auction find, We can add our new fish and let the filler fish fend for themselves or be eaten. My metriclima Auroras were like that, bought them for $1.00 for 5 at an auction, not even sure why. The Dovii is caring for 3 of them at this point. An aquarists ability to play God is one of the biggest attractions to the hobby. I guess this is just another part of the God factor, to determine what has value and what has feeder potential. I remember a few years back, Endlers were so expensive and people were cornering the market on females. I sold a pair for $50.00 US on aquabid. They are now as popular as feeder guppies and small feeders at that. Take Zebra pleco's, how many people buy them just for their value but really don't value them morally? Arowana's, Koi and Flowerhorns might have some of the hugest Pet values of freshwater fish yet the latter is a supposed unwanted hybrid. For people to dedicate that kind of space and care to a solitary fish is insane to some. Why not fill that 250 gallon with africans rather than keep a hybrid?

I found this to be a funny question on another board, if You could keep just one of Your fish and had to get rid of all the others, no trios, no pairs, just one fish which one would it be? Everyone had their favorite, most of them even had a name, some were even named after loved ones. I think I'll post that in another post, it actually gets kind of funny to see people with hundreds of fish trying to eliminate them down to one. Sadly, Betta's were a number one choice, I wonder how they would fair on this board, lets find out.

LOTS!. I don't really know where to start. My main thing is plecos, and my

syno multis are high on my list. Bettas for sure too. Its hard to ignore them-

they have such character. I have a special soft spot for zebra plecos.

i have my favorites but everybody has a price. if some one walked in and offerd the right amout of money id sell my wild groups......id probabally even sell my sister if the price was right.........LOL

Does Your sister do windows? How about a nice group of Syno multi's? I think I'd trade mine for java moss or hornwort some days....