New 15g tank

jimmyhg

So its been a while since I posted but I finally got around to take some picks of the tank. I found it hard to get a good picture (I use a film camera). The tank has turned out great. It is currently stocked with 6 rasboras, 5 neon tetras, and 2 ottos. I have mostly live plants which are all growing.

I did have a couple of casualties however. One of the neons was sucked up by the aquaclear within one hour of being introduced. It died within a day due to the injuries. That neon seemed a little strange from the beginning because it wasn't schooling and seemed to freely get sucked up. I buried the intake of the aquaclear to eliminate the possibility of this happening again. The second casualty was an otto who died a couple of days after introduction. It never ate and grew pale in color, I was able to get a free replacement.

I have to say I love the rasboras (espei), they usually swim in the top of the tank and school more than the neons. They are also fairly energetic and have a deep orange color. Sometimes I observe 2 or 3 of them shaking at eachother with their fins spread out. I assume his is some sort of mating behavior?

The ottos have been great at munching algae on the plants and glass. Since most of it is gone I have been feeding them with some blanched spinach or cucumber. They really like the spinach though.

I have also have noticed a few snails in the tank. They are still very small so I have not been able to identify them yet.

The fishless cycle thing worked well and I have not had any problems with ammonia or nitrites after the first introductions in early December. My nitrates have been around 5-10ppm with 25-30% weekly changes. I use a little fertilizer as well. The water wisteria grows but is a little yellow compared to the growth that it had during the end of the fishless cycle. I assume its because the nitrates levels are much lower.

Thanks to everyone who has helped out with the tank. I think it has turned out great so far and look forward to its future.

tankhj4.jpg

closemt2.jpg

Very nice setup

Wonderful tank! I like the coloring of the gravel.

Very bizarre about the tetra getting sucked into the filter though, I don't think I've heard of that happening (shrimp definitely). Too bad!

^^ Please post more pics when you get some!