Lights

Raven

I really need to know wow i can hook up some strange thing for lighting over the Cichlid tank. Right now all it gets it what comes through the window in moms basement, and even that dosent hit the entire tank. The Java moss the the 10g has grown, alot, to 3 times the size it was when i got it at the ouction, so i put a lump in the tank, will it die, or be able to survive? Also, this tank has no lid, it was broken in the move, beyond repair. Any suggestions?

I just used a dual 48" flourescent fixture that I got at Canadian Tire for 18.99, along with 2 GE plant and aquarium bulbs also available at good ol Can Tire for about 5 bucks a piece. Whole lighting system costed under 30 bones, and looks just as good as the expesive versions you can get at your LFS. My kinda price....

If the aquarium is against a wall, you can screw "L" brackets into the wall and suspend a lighting system from a chain over the aquarium. The nifty thing is that plants can grow out of the aquarium. It's very popular in Europe and Asia having an open top concept.

HTH

If you do a search there are lots of sites that telly ou how to build aquarium hoods to accomodate DIY lighting.

For my DIY lighting i just made a box around the lighting and it sits on top of my glass hood. Mine is made out of metal but you can build the same thign from wood. I'll try to get some pics maybe tonight

For a lid to the tank. Take inside measurements around the vinyl trim part and go to Crystal Glass and ask them to cut it to your dimensions. If you over size the width of the tank by 2" and have it cut to the half your lid will then over lap.

i.e Tank ID 12.25 x 16.5 rectangle

2 peices required are 8 x 16.5 and there you go.

Use at least a 4 mm glass non tempered and have them smooth of the edges.

Or buy a 9.00 glass cutter and practice on some glass and then cut your own. Look up Glass Cutting on Goggle. Loads of info.

Garhan