Labs with black on the face

cidley69

This doesn't seem to be actual emergency status, but does seem to be progressively worse.

Is black marks on the face of a yellow lab mean some sort of disease? I have done some searches on the internet for this problem, and all i can come up with is that it is a heretatary trait that doesn't seam to be hurtfull expcept for asthetics. but, my labs seem to be way more lathargic, and they have more dark markings on there face than ever.

can someone suggest what might be there problem, or maybe where i could inquire more about this?

any help very appreciated (by all of us)!

While I am far from experienced in cichlids. The black in yellow labs is either a show of dominance or readiness of breeding. Either way, black on yellow labs is normal for them. I am sure that some of the resident experts in cichlids will clarify.

EDIT: It appears to be a show of dominance in males, here is a link to show you: http://www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk/Labidochromis.htm

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

While it can be associated with dominance, and/or sexual maturity, the true cause is poor genetics, and/or sloppy breeding practices used by some fishkeepers.

I have no idea why your fish are becoming lethargic, but it wouldn't be connected to the fish having dark pigments showing up in their face.

Thanks for input guys. So based on what I've read and all of your opinions the black faces isn't a health issue, just a genetic characteristic.

As for the slow fishes, they do seem a bit more active now, maybe it was just a time of day i was looking at them.

Thanks again!

My dominant male, does just what you are saying. He usually finds a little cave area to sit in, and gets a greyish to blackish mottling on him, this usually occurs a few days before he gets aggressive and in a major spawning mode. After a couple of days the mottling fades and he returns to his bright yellow. Also means at least one of my females are holding.