never noticed any problems

scrubby

What kind of fish in there?

How many fish in there?

Is it a new tank?

Did you overfeed?

Have you cleaned the filter lately?

Does it need a cleaning?

I would do a 40-50%, Then let it run for about an hour and test again. Unless it is a new tank and then I would leave it.

Edited by TheGr8Blade

What kind of fish in there?

How many fish in there?

Is it a new tank?

Did you overfeed?

Have you cleaned the filter lately?

Does it need a cleaning?

I would do a 40-50%, Then let it run for about an hour and test again. Unless it is a new tank and then I would leave it.

thx alot really

Is your ammonia test kit new? Are you sure you tested right?

8.0ppm is really high and you'd think with it being that high, your fish would be showing signs of illness or dead.

If indeed the test is correct you need to do a lot of water changes and keep testing untill the levels are testing better. Any idea what might have cause such a huge spike? Any dead fish in the tank?

Is your ammonia test kit new? Are you sure you tested right?

8.0ppm is really high and you'd think with it being that high, your fish would be showing signs of illness or dead.

If indeed the test is correct you need to do a lot of water changes and keep testing untill the levels are testing better. Any idea what might have cause such a huge spike? Any dead fish in the tank?

just rough looking fin so i added myacin cranked the heat added salt 2 weeks ago checked water first time test was a verrry dark green which is very bad test kit is brand new just checked again little lighter not much did about a 40-45 % water change will continue tomorrow

I looked up Myacin on the Aquatronics website and it says this

Erythromycin Phosphate, sufficient to treat 120 gallons. Compare with Maracyn and others. For Fin and Tail Rot, Pop-Eye, Columnarius, Velvet, Gill and Neon Disease. Use as a safeguard when introducing new fish. Erythromycin, unlike other antibiotics, can have an effect on the filter bed. Use in a hospital tank is recommended. Will not color water. Use 1 capsule per each 10 NET gallons. As with other antibiotics, use every other day for 5 days (3 treatments are recommended). (Sold since 1975).

So it looks like you killed your bacteria bed in your tank. This is why you should only use medications as a last resort. You shouldn't have to use antibiotics for split fins unless its super bad and they have a infection. IF you keep the water clean fins usually heal in a week or so on their own,

So now what do you do... I would keep doing large water changes to keep that ammonia down. You are going to have to recycle your tank. Try to get some used filter media or gravel, either from another one of your tanks or someone who can donate some to you. You need to get some bacteria in there to help control the ammonia.

Good luck

If you have a pothos or Peace lilly, or ivy in the house, take part of it out of the pot and rinse off the roots (you need roots, here). Either stick it in your HOB filter, if you have one, or find a way to stick it in the tank so that just the roots are in the water. Terrestrial plants can make excellent nutrient sponges.

The first half of your post title is an indication...

never noticed any problems

.....That your probably getting a false ammonia reading. Ammonia is extremely toxic, and at 8 ppm all your fish would be dead.

The false reading is more than likely being caused by the water conditioner your using. Prime is the usual culprit, but many other water conditioners will give them as well.

Tony

I agree with Tony, your fish should all be dead, but since they aren't, the test is probably off or wrong.

I use Prime to condition my water and sometimes get a false positive. Prime is designed (according to the label) to "remove" ammonia the same way it removes chlorine and chloramine. It also detoxifies nitrites and nitrates, so if you aren't using it now, consider switching.

Tony is correct! When your doing a wc and adding conditioner like Prime, the conditioner breaks the bond between chlorine and ammonia. If your testing for ammonia, you will get a reading however the conditioner binds the ammonia and renders it harmless to your fish. The bio will then process the ammonia.

If you have killed you bio with meds, use prime at least twice a day to detox the ammonia plus wc's until the bio establishes itself.

Edited by ronrca