What do you do with a hybrid

lukep77

Personally I like hybrids, plenty of leg room and great for the atmospere.... I was against them for years, what I find I am against more is africans sold as "Mixed Africans" and people breeding them and then selling the fry as the one fish they can identify. Fish should be bred for sale in a species tank, then we know the strain is true. If breeding hybrids, saying what it is, is plausible, Altering it surgically or injecting it with dye is downright animal abuse. Breeding an animal to create a certain look or personality is acceptable unless the outcome renders the animal useless or somehow keeps the animal in pain.

I bought My baby His first fish, it is a flowerhorn, I knew it was a hybrid and payed exactly for that. I love this fish, it has quickly become the coolest fish I have ever owned and it's temper is awesome. I also bought it knowing it would likely not go well with other fish, whether selling hybrids or pure strains, this info is more important.

On the other hand I also bought a 6+" Blood Parrot at an auction, I knew what I was buying, but feel now after owning it for awhile that this fish is bred cruelly. It's mouth is almost useless for eating or defending itself, It's body is so distorted that it couldn't escape well either. I don't believe this fish was altered with care but with intentions of creating a mutant.

Not all hybrids are bad, not all dog hybrids are unhealthy or nasty, If that were the case we'd all keep wolves and walleye for pets as even bringing fish from another country is not technically "natural" I say that before judging hybrids, own one. That is why I bought the parrot and the flowerhorn, I now think the parrot was a sick joke and the flowerhorn is the fish of a life time. This thing arrived dead, not breathing for atleast 10 minutes. It is growing like mad now, it's colors and friendliness are incredible and it's ability to kill stuff put's My dovii to shame.

Know what you buy, this is where I see mixed africans a bigger crime for stores to sell as these people will re-sell their fry without knowledge that their fish are a kenyi/zebra cross etc... and the next people will sell their fry as whatever they can identify them closest too. Last year I bought some pure discus, powder blue they were suppose to be, it ended up that they died, they were turquoise dyed blue and the blue stained My hands and carpet. This is a crime!!! selling Flowerhorns with knowledge that they are flowerhorns and whether they are fertile or not is an honest business. To each their own though. Is it any better to sell Your 10th generation inbred fish as Wild or F1??? It's all a matter of opinion and morales. I will never regret getting Miracle the Flowerhorn for My kid, except now I need to get Me a fish that cool.

I always wondered why fish keepers are so uppity about hybrid fish, while dog people seem to try their best to come up with the next most deadly or unhealthy hybrid breed possible.

-Hideo

Mentioned a million times before and will be again, I'm sure, but....

Probably because all dogs are the same species.

That doesn't change the fact that people breed dangerous and unhealthy crossbreeds.

-Hideo

That doesn't change the fact that people breed dangerous and unhealthy crossbreeds.

-Hideo

You're quite right.

But we're not talking about "crossbreeds" here now, are we? We're talking about hybrids. :)

Wow I didint expect this kind of response, but its good.

Now Oxquo do you have a pic of your flower horn. Iam curiuse to see what it looks like. Ive learnd to not trust the internet.

Iam sure many of you have guessed that Iam new to cichlids. That is why I asked about hybrids.

I was wondering about Blood Parrot's they dont seem to look natural. I keep wondering by them in stores and I want to get some but some thing is saying to me that they were breed to look like that.

Also do blood parots breed? And what 2 fish make a parot?

Oxquo you are totaly right about dying and it should be a punishable crime.

I also agree that if you are selling a hybrid, it should be labled acordingly, with the 2 types of fish that were used to create it.

"That doesn't change the fact that people breed dangerous and unhealthy crossbreeds."

Mighty Prawn

Can you give a example of this, I imagin you would say the Blood parot, are there others?

Well in fish, I know one of the big ones is the Flowerhorn, which is notorious for being unpredictable in temper. Some can be nice, but some can be killing machines.

-Hideo

Hybrids get fed to something else, or just culled straight out.

Turtles and crayfish really like them. ;)

Is that how the saying WHEN TURTLES FLY came about. -roll- (sativa+indica+rudella)

Well in fish, I know one of the big ones is the Flowerhorn, which is notorious for being unpredictable in temper. Some can be nice, but some can be killing machines.

-Hideo

But that is what you get when you hybridize a unpredictabley tempermental fish with another unpredictabley tempermental fish.