Building aquariums

Sam Chicklets

I have built over 20 aquariums and it sure is a cheap way of having a setup for a fishroom. I just built a 36g tank 14.5"*14.5"*40" 6 weeks ago out of 10 mil glass shelves from a jewellery store that closed. The only expense was a tube of G.E. 100 silicone which is aquarium safe for $16 then I used the rest of the tube to repair 75g tank that I bought with a broken end panel. The stand for the 36g was constructed from parts of an entertainment stand that had been discarded. I just constructed a stand for the 75g tank from desk parts.

planted6a.jpg

The 36g tank. Will be posting the 75 soon

Edited by Sam Chicklets

OOOOPS It is G.E. 1200 Silicone not 100

Ive built a tank out of glass doors out of a book shelf unit its a perfect cube 18" x18" x18".

The only problem with it is that its the glass that shaters if you crack it. I learned the hard way trying to cut a peice for a partition. I still find glass in the kitchen. I figure that as long as nothing hits it too hard I will be ok, that and its also a teranium so it only holds a little under 5 galons.

Iam always on the look out for stray peices of glass,

I have to ask where did you find the jewlary store?

I had a friend who owned the store he closed it in 1990, and i've had the glass in the shed since then. I traded him an old car for about 2 tons of glass. I only have about a third of it left now.

Edited by Sam Chicklets