Fish rooms?

Shai

Since joining this board I have seen many mentions of "fish rooms". What's the purpose of a fish room? If I understand correctly, it's where all the tanks someone owns are put, correct? Are people who do this uninterested in using their tanks for decorative purposes in other rooms of their homes, like the living room, etc, or does a fish room become a necessity if you have a lot of tanks?

I guess in my mind I don't see why someone would want to put their aquariums in a room where people might not necessarily go to spend time (as compared to the living room or a den or the like), which might sort of defeat the purpose of setting up an aquarium. Unless people put furniture in their fish rooms, like recliners or a sofa or something? Or is the room just wall to wall tanks?

Just curious, thanks! :D

It usually means that is were they put the fry, the ones they are breeding the ones that are being grown out, the sick tank and the quarantine tanks are. If they didn't have a fish room they would be capable of having any furniture in there other rooms. Most people with fish rooms usually have one or more show tanks in a public viewing area.

When I had my fishroom (half my basement) I still had a 96g and a 45g in my front room. The fisfroom had a 108 a 55 10 15gs 8 20 longs and an assortment of other tanks for breeding and growing plants.

Since joining this board I have seen many mentions of "fish rooms". What's the purpose of a fish room? If I understand correctly, it's where all the tanks someone owns are put, correct? Are people who do this uninterested in using their tanks for decorative purposes in other rooms of their homes, like the living room, etc, or does a fish room become a necessity if you have a lot of tanks?

I guess in my mind I don't see why someone would want to put their aquariums in a room where people might not necessarily go to spend time (as compared to the living room or a den or the like), which might sort of defeat the purpose of setting up an aquarium. Unless people put furniture in their fish rooms, like recliners or a sofa or something? Or is the room just wall to wall tanks?

Just curious, thanks! :D

A fishroom to a fishnut is like a garage to a mechanic- a necessity. Most of us who have fishrooms do

have decorative tanks elsewhere as well. However, if you have alot of tanks, that is not practical- think

about the complications with water changes alone. Alot of us breed, and the fish really don't take it

as well if they are put in a really busy area. I would love to put a chair in my fishroom if I had the space,

but now I just wander around peer into tanks etc. My community tanks upstairs I will sit on the couch

for hours and watch. The benefits to a fishroom- everything is in one place, not scattered around.

They do it because my wife says " Too many tanks all over the place! Too many hoses and water changes ."

We have a 90 gallon in the living room, the 180 in the basement TV room, and three others in the "fish room." The fish room also houses our computer and desk.

Because even thought it an be a huge expense.....

It's cheaper than a divorce. :smokey:

I'll be laughing about that for weeks.

When I can close the door of my fishroom, the rest of the world does'nt exist anymore. I don't think that fishrooms are meant to be displayed for all company to see. Being invited into someone's fishroom is a very special thing.

When I can close the door of my fish room, the rest of the world doesnt exist anymore. I don't think that fish rooms are meant to be displayed for all company to see. Being invited into some one's fish room is a very special thing.

I agree 100%! When I was still in Calgary I had a 28 tank fish room consisting mainly of Discus....It got started simply to make things easier as far as water changes, breeding & grow out, etc....which it did. But a big, big part of it for myself, was the escape and refuge factor. It was for my own satisfaction, no one else's.

Maybe you have to be a complete Aquafreak to understand fully....The average Joe would walk into that room and the first comment I'd get was...cool...then I'd get a subtle 'your outta your freakin mind' glance.

Another Aquafreak would walk into the room for the first time...and their heart would skip a beat, and they'd start rambling and asking questions.

It takes a nut job to understand a nut job.

Tony

BTW...right now we have 22 tanks scattered throughout the house (no room for a room). Water changes are a complete PITA comparatively speaking...and the whole thing isn't quite as 'rewarding' as it has been in the past.

If you build a fishroom, you can use some kind of waterproof flooring and bring it up the walls for about 1 foot or so.

So if your tanks decide to explode, no water damage anywhere. Put electrical outlets up higher, and you avoid even more problems.

Can also make maintenance a looooot easier, and automatic plumbing systems much more viable for all tanks.

Also keeping all that humidity restricted to a single room would be a benefit as well. I have 2 dehumidifiers going on each floor of my house, and thinking about getting a third one to control the ridiculous condensation on the windows.

-Hideo

My fishroom was based near a floor drain and a plastic laundry sink, it also had a 45g water barrel running for water changes.

Tony nailed it.

I have typically anywhere in the range of 54-62 tanks, scattered throughout my house, as I do not really have any good place to set up a fish room....and it means tripping over tanks daily and maintenance is more of a chore and takes more time.

Yesterday I was in the fish room of Jerry Yaremko, the CAS show chairman, and his main fishroom has about 100 tanks (mostly 10s and 20s) on racks on three walls of a downstairs room...all filters (sponge filters) are run by a single large air pump, and water-changes are easily performed via a pump and hose from two large reservoirs.....easy and convenient.

Aquariums and small children do not mix well - especially in a day home. All my running tanks are in one room within 12 feet of a drain and a water supply. Wall bases have been sealed to prevent leakage (and to keep spills out of the gun room) and all walls have been vapour barriered. Water changes (currently down to 18 tanks) only take 1 hour twice a week using 440 liters. If they are not in one spot you can't even enjoy your tanks as much either. Humidity is not a problem with covered tanks either. A single room just makes things easier (same as a workshop with all your tools in it).

Wow, good reasons. (Sounds like some guys need to find girls like me who like aquariums!)

Thanks for sharing all that info, I can definitely see now why they'd be useful for some people. : )

Wow, good reasons. (Sounds like some guys need to find girls like me who like aquariums!)

Thanks for sharing all that info, I can definitely see now why they'd be useful for some people. : )

What's a girl?