Tuff Fish

Fishnut

To my horror my 5 inch yellow lab was missing from my tank several days ago. After much investigation and thanks to a small hole I found him stuck in one of those great big shells (the ones you listen to the ocean in). He followed the swirls all the way to the middle and was wedged. I jiggled him and used water to try to wash him out with no luck. So out came the shell and through the small hole I tryed to gently help him along, again, no luck. Next was chipping away the shell. It wouldn't break. All the time over about 1/2 hour dipping in the tank to let him breath. After that with a fish that appeared to be dead I decided to recover the body and took the shell outside to break in the snow on a rock. After 3 good smashes the shell didn't break but it did loosen the lab and there he laid on the edge of the shell. I got him back in the aquarium and after 3 days and a couple loosened scales he is as good as new. I can't believe it. His new name is Lucky.

My catfish did a similar thing to me the otnher night. I took the wood pieces out of the aquarium to catch some baby plecos. I shook each piece to get every rider off before removing it. From the big bucket I could hear the "croaking" of the raphael. When I investigated, he had wedged himself up between thesides of a large crack in the wood.With all his pointy /pokey rays, this critter wasn't backing out. Crap!!!!! Off to the bathtub we went. I tried desperately to break the wood, nothing. I tried flushing him out, nothing. I went to hubbies wookroom to fing a cutting tool, no sign of a wood saw, only a metal one. Crap!!!! Ok found 2 huge screwdrivers! Now I spent the next 20 minutes trying to pry the wood open and finally after thinking I had stabbed the poor critter ! the wood gave and this poorthing reluctantly was freed. Yes he made it. My nerves we shattered though. I couldn't believe I had come down to panic when it came to saving his life. Goes to show you, we get pretty attached and feel VERY responsible for their well being. :beer:

Last month, I was moving my fish back into there original tank after giving it a good overhaul. One of my longnosed synos decided instead of being captured by net he would hide in a shell, well he was easy to move just picked up the shell and put it in the other tank. Ten minutes later he was still in the shell. I realized he was stuck and tried to give it a bit of a shake to help him out. Well that didn't work. Ward grabbed a hold of his tail while holding the shell upside down and managed to get him out.