Bettas are breeding

bosshog

Ive been trying to get my daughters fancy Bettas to breed for a couple of weeks. I've put them together and separated them twice. This time the female was kept in a jar with the male loose in the tank. They showed interest in one another, so I turned her loose. They completely ignore one another for about 2 days.

I came in for lunch and see that they are breeding, I've seen the male grab the female and let her go. I know she should look crippled, she did, kinda scary. The male was then picking up the eggs and putting them in the nest. Cool. Now the male is chasing the female off so I'm going to put here back into her tank and leave the male to hatch the fry. I will put a small LED lamp in for him for night light. I'm looking for advice on what to feed the fry. I can hatch brine shrimp, I have Nutrafin fry food that I started convict fry on. Will these feeds be adequate for the fry? I have no live cultures of any kind.

Thanks in advance

Brad

They're pretty tiny when they hatch, so when they're free swimming, you can feed them green water, microworms, infusoria, or vinegar eels. After a few days, the larger ones will likely be able to take bbs and crushed flake/pellets

They're pretty tiny when they hatch, so when they're free swimming, you can feed them green water, microworms, infusoria, or vinegar eels. After a few days, the larger ones will likely be able to take bbs and crushed flake/pellets

Thanks Jason. I never thought of green water even though I do have some, not really green but should work. I have a mortar and pestle for crushing larger food I think I should be alright.

The eggs are hatching!! I can see a few of the fry free swimming so I caught the male and moved him to a jar. Then I put in a little bit of green water. I can't beleive how small they are. I have no idea how many there are. I guess I will just keep feeding them green water for a few days then start feeding small amounts of fry food.

Later

Brad