Treating Ich in a planted tank

Becky

I see a few white spots on my neons. They've been in the tank for two months and I noticed the ich today when I did a water change.

I have sucessfully treated ich before with the salt/heat method, but that was in a non-planted tank with no invertabrates.

I care about my apple snails and loaches and don't want to harm them with salt.

Should I remove the fish and treat them in a different tank? Should I rempve the snails and treat the planted tank? I have a couple of tanks that are cycled and fishless right now.

Thanks for any help!

Becky

You could put some water from your tank in a bucket add salt and give your fish a bath in it same idea as a hospital tank.

I had a similar case in a planted with loaches. I raise temp to shorten the life span of the ich, treated the water at half recommended dosage because of the loaches and added salt to build up the slime coat of the fish and to mess with the osmoitic balance of any free swimming ich. It is argued by many that when ich is attached to the fish, it is almost impervious to any treatment, so I am not really sure of the sucess of a salt bath just for the affected fish only to return them to a tank full of free swimming ich. Oh and remove the snails and remove the activated charcoal from your filter if you use meds. :D

I just recently had an ich outbreak in my planted 10g. At first I tried meds combined with increased temperature and unfortunately, lost all my fish (six cherry barbs) except a betta because it didn't work. The ich seemed to respond in favor of the meds instead of being killed by it. : ( The infestation was really, really bad until I stopped the meds.

I saved my betta by treating him with a series of salt baths while still keeping the temperature high (30C). I also took the betta out of the tank for 10 days while at that temperature so that the free-swimming tomites would not be able to find any hosts.

Some plants don't react well to salt so you might want to remove them if you're going to dose salt in the tank itself.

Edited by Shai