Help I f*#cked up

cichlidkid

I was going by the info that you posted in this thread:

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=8561

Servings are 1/3 what I was feeding before.
As far as how much I feed I have not counted pellets, but it is a quarter hand full now.
approximately 70-80 and yes I feed daily.

Certainly sounded to me like you were initially feeding them by the fist-full. (70-80 6mm pellets x 3)

Either way, you were overfeeding that particular formula by massive amounts, and I mean massive. It's possible that by doing so you've caused your fish to have a negative reaction to this food, hard to say, but I would imagine that their innards took a beating while they were being stuffed with such a large amount of food, especially a food that they had never eaten before. I've yet to personally see or hear of any carnivorous species having any type of negative reaction to NLS, so this is a first for me.

You got to be kidding me..... You are suggesting I screwed up my rays insides by feeding them to much. If a fish eats what I was feeding in less than a minute I still have difficulty believing it is to much, but o.k.

I would also like to hear from someone else who actually has their rays on NLS. I sure can't seem to find anyone.

I don't believe that there's more than a hand full of people on this forum that even keep rays, let alone feed them pellet food, so I suspect that you'll be waiting some time for a response on AA. Having said that, I was talking to Christian last night & he told me that they have been feeding a couple of the rays in the store NLS with no issues.

Contrary to popular belief this is not the only board I participate on :D

Anyway I will contact Christian as I wonder which rays he is feeding as I thought they were all on frozen, and the for sale ones are on Live. It would be interesting to talk to him.

On a good note many of my cats do eat NLS with no issue.

According to Christian, a couple of the leopoldi.

You got to be kidding me..... You are suggesting I screwed up my rays insides by feeding them to much. If a fish eats what I was feeding in less than a minute I still have difficulty believing it is to much, but o.k.

Tim, you were feeding your fish more food/calories in one shot, per day, than what most rays in the wild would most likely consume spread out over 10 days, and in the wild they certainly would be expending more energy than when kept in a 6-8 ft glass cage. This went on for x number of days/weeks, correct? In addition to that, factor in that this was a completely new diet for them, and yes, you could certainly cause a negative reaction to a food, any food, and certainly one should expect to see gastrointestinal distress, such as what you experienced. This is a common mistake that many aquarists make with premium foods, even experienced fishkeepers such as yourself.

Try doing the same with a dog, or cat, or horse, or whatever, and you'll typically see the same kind of reaction.

I generally hesitate using the words "over feeding", because it usually results in someone blowing a gasket, but in my opinion, this was a classic case of just that.

Edited by RD.

Well I ordered 10 pounds of kensfish pellets I will try and let you know how it goes. I am all in for NLS for the ease, but I would rather change foods than have my rays die from excess waste while I experiment.

I also want to metion Neil that this is two pairs of rays. Not the same pair.

Edited by rudy

• 4 weeks later...
I would also like to hear from someone else who actually has their rays on NLS. I sure can't seem to find anyone.

Not to dredge up an old thread, but just a FYI .... the RD Petland has been feeding their male Motoro (approx 6" in diameter) the NLS Large Fish formula for approx 2 months now, and he seems very healthy, and no excess waste in the tank, or anything nasty coming out of his keester. ;)

I watched Kim feed him today (approx 300 gallon tank), and he scarfed down the pellets straight away.

Not to dredge up an old thread, but just a FYI .... the RD Petland has been feeding their male Motoro (approx 6" in diameter) the NLS Large Fish formula for approx 2 months now, and he seems very healthy, and no excess waste in the tank, or anything nasty coming out of his keester. ;)

I watched Kim feed him today (approx 300 gallon tank), and he scarfed down the pellets straight away.

This is so far off topic it may as well be in popular mechanics.

This is so far off topic it may as well be in popular mechanics.

THe popular mechanics don't happen for a couple of hours after the feeding :eh:

Gee sorry, but I'd hate to see someone pass on feeding this brand of pellet (or any brand for that matter)due to nothing more than one persons experience, who IMHO may very well have caused their problem from the get go.

Riverfront apparently had no problems feeding rays NLS, nor has Petland, nor has the zoo aquarist that I linked to previously. Tim asked to hear from someone else, and I have now provided three unrelated people that he can contact if he feels the need, as can Keegan. Seeing as Keegan also works for Petland, I thought that he might find Kim's experience here at the RD Petland to be useful information.

Seeing as the OP of this thread originally asked about this particular brand of food, I'm not sure how any responses on the subject could be considered off topic?

when my festaes died I went though a complete overhaul in my tank, everything was stripped down, washed with hot (sometimes boiling) water, rinsed with vinager and then washed again.

gravel was changed out for sand, all filter media was replaced and the aquaclears where scrubbed down (and steamed)

now I have my ray in the tank and she is doing great, a bit on the scrawney side as she wont touch earthworms (isnt that wierd?) but happy and healthy none the less.

there was only one thing that I missed in my meticulus sterilization.

the fluval hoses

I even left the hoses dangling off the tank (attatched to the aqua-stop or whatever its called) these hoses have not had water running through them since the strip-down but they have deffenently had humidity and probably some water sitting in them due to the aqua-stop.

so anyway I finaly got my new impeller, put it in and seter up, compleatly forgeting about the hoses.

as soon as it started I knew I was in sh*t. death started pouring out of the hoses, (old bits of slime coat stuff that looks like lemonade pulp) this stuff was floating all around just as the festaes where on their way out.

by the time I got to the right cord the water was coming out clear. so I left it, I figure the damage has already been done.

I did a 50%water change and added 9 tbs of salt.

what else can I do? normaly I would throw a fu*ckload of preventative crap in but those kinds of meds would probably kill the ray even faster than this sickness.

'nuff said. Not everything is an ad for your associates product. If it is Keegan you are wanting to assist, than a simple pm would suffice. Of course I am sure you are wise enough to know this is the case. Unfortunately, I am now derailing this thread further.

FYI - I read the initial comment, as well as those posted after the fact, and if/when I feel that I need your permission to respond to a question or concern regarding this product, or anything else for that matter, I'll let you know.

If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to send me a PM.

Glad to hear that you are now having success with your ray. In reading your situation one thing that gave me cause for concern is that you have completely stripped your tank and added new fish so quickly. In stripping the tank you have also removed any good stuff along with the bad - as in developed bacteria to break down the toxic waste this new fish is now producing. I would now moniter your Ammonia and nitrite levels every day to make sure that they stay at zero. If it is possible that you know of someone that has a healthy established tank - ask if they wouldn't mind giving you a small piece of their filter sponge. Keep this established sponge wet until you can take it out and place it under your sponge. This will jump start your filter to maturity and save the health and possibly life of this new beloved fish.